An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | June 14, 2017

Minnesota Soldiers welcome Army Guard director to Saber Strike 17

By Sgt. Mark Otte 100th MPAD, Texas Army National Guard

PABRADE, Lithuania - Lt .Gen. Timothy J. Kadavy, director of the Army National Guard, with Maj. Gen. Timothy P. McGuire, deputy commanding general of U.S. Army Europe, met with Minnesota Army National Guard soldiers during Exercise Saber Strike 17 on June 10.

The Soldiers from the Minnesota National Guard, the 2-136th Combined Arms Battalion, represented the largest contingent of Guard members to participate in the exercise, which includes 20 allied and partnered nations.

While the Army National Guard has participated in the exercise in previous years, the number of Soldiers involved was historically limited to the size of a company. During Saber Strike 17, the 2-136 CAB from the 34th Infantry Division was mobilized to Lithuania; something Kadavy said was not only the next step in training the already-capable Soldiers from Minnesota, but also supports the larger mission at hand.

"We are visiting the soldiers in Pabrade to observe their training that serves as a culminating event after last year's National Training Center rotation," Kadavy said.

Of the 17 NATO countries participating in Saber Strike 17, the Minnesota National Guard is most closely tied with Croatia, whose soldiers have worked shoulder to shoulder with Minnesota Guard members since 1996 in the State Partnership Program.

After the Minnesota Guard troops met with their international counterpart in Parade, Lithuania— the site of Exercise Iron Wolf 17— for training operations that further strengthened the bonds between the two fighting forces, the Minnesota Guard members said that while the training site changed, their focus on mission readiness hasn't. Kadavy echoed these ideas during his visit to the Pabrade training area.

"This training supports the European Resolution Initiative, in support of U.S. Army Europe and EUCOM as well as strengthens partnerships with NATO Allies," Kadavy said.

During Lt. Gen. Kadavy's visit, a few Soldiers had the opportunity to sit down with him Saturday morning, a move one Soldier said reinforced the importance of Saber Strike and his role in the training exercise.

"When you have officers from that level visiting the training site, you know the training is important," said Pfc. David Pesta with 2-136 CAB.

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...