Lt. Gen. Michael A. Loh is the Director, Air National Guard, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He is responsible for formulating, developing and coordinating all policies, plans and programs affecting 108,400 Air National Guard Airmen and civilians across 90 wings and 180 installations in 159 communities throughout the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands.
Lt. Gen. Loh is a 1984 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He served seven years on active duty as an F-16 instructor and strike pilot for U.S. Air Forces Europe and at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. He joined the Colorado Air National Guard in 1991 and has held command, staff and supervisory positions including group and squadron commander; Air Force Assistant to the Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command; Assistant to the Chief of Staff; and Assistant Adjutant General of Colorado for Air/Space. He has deployed multiple times to both the Paciﬁc and Central Command regions and commanded combat operations during operations Iraqi Freedom and Provide Comfort II. Prior to his current position, he was The Adjutant General, Colorado National Guard.
1984 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1988 Squadron Oﬃcer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2000 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 National Security Management, by correspondence
2010 George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, Garmisch, Germany
2010 Harvard John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2011 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2011 Senior Reserve Component Oﬃcer Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2011 Master of Business Administration, Trident University International, Cypress, Calif.
2012 Capstone, General and Flag Oﬃcer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 National Security Studies Management Course, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2018 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
2018 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2019 General and Flag Oﬃcer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- May 1984–October 1985, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
- October 1985–January 1986, Student, Fighter Lead-in Training, Holloman AFB, N.M
- January 1986–July 1986, Student, Air Force Operational Training Course, F-16, MacDill AFB, Fla
- July 1986–June 1989, Pilot, 313th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn Air Base, Germany
- June 1989–September 1991, Instructor Pilot, 310th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
- September 1991–June 1996, Pilot, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- June 1996–June 1997, Instructor Pilot, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- June 1997–September 2003, Flight Commander, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- October 2003–September 2004, Commander, 140th Operations Support Flight, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- October 2004–September 2006, Commander, 140th Operations Support Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- October 2006–May 2010, Commander, 140th Operations Group, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- May 2010–September 2011, Special Assistant to the Chief of Staff, United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
- October 2011–July 2013, Assistant Adjutant General - Air, Colorado National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters-Colorado, Centennial, Colo.; dual-hatted, November 2011–14 May 2013. National Guard Assistant to the Commander, 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
- August 2013–March 2016, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- April 2016–April 2017, National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
- April 2017–July 2020, The Adjutant General, Colorado, Centennial, Colo.
- July 2020–present, Director, Air National Guard, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
August 2013–March 2016, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a major general.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,200 (including more than 120 combat)
Aircraft ﬂown: T-37, T-38, AT-38 and F-16A/B/C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster Bronze Star
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 28 May, 1984
First Lieutenant 28 May, 1986
Captain 28 May, 1988
Major 01 October, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel 03 November, 2001
Colonel 14 October, 2006
Brigadier General 21 May, 2010
Major General 01 August, 2013
Lieutenant General 22 July, 2020
1985 Outstanding Graduate ATC Commander's Trophy, Undergraduate Pilot Training
1986 Outstanding Graduate, F-16 Operational Training Course
1986 Order of Daedalians Orville Wright Achievement Award
2004 Order of Daedalians Mile High Flight Distinguished Pilot Award
Civilian Air Transport Pilot rated in Boeing 727, 737, 747-400, and 777
(Current as of January 2023)