An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 15, 2016

Nevada National Guard Soldiers sharpen communication skills with Tongan military

By Lt. Col. Mickey Kirschenbaum Joint Force Headquarters Public Affairs

NUKU'ALOFA, Tonga – Last week, several members of the Nevada National Guard traveled across the globe to interact and exchange techniques for communicating with members of His Majesty's Armed Forces, the Army, Navy and Marines of the Kingdom of Tonga in the South Pacific.

Several members of the Nevada National Guard's 422nd Expeditionary Signal Battalion and the Nevada Air National Guard worked with the Tongan forces to set up, operate and troubleshoot U.S. and Australian radios and communication base stations at locations across the island nation and with one of its naval vessels at sea.

The Nevada National Guard and the Kingdom of Tonga signed a Declaration of Partnership under the auspices of the National Guard Bureau's State Partnership Program on April 11, 2014.

The State Partnership Program (SPP) links a unique component of the Department of Defense – a state’s National Guard – with the armed forces of a partner country in a cooperative and mutually beneficial relationship.

The SPP is administered by the National Guard Bureau, guided by State Department foreign policy goals, and executed by the adjutants general in support of combatant commanders and Department of Defense policy goals.

Past exchange topics have included military and maritime legal aspects, military police techniques, night vision equipment and Combat Life Savers.

Nevada and Tonga have also partnered in several Pacific Command and South Pacific exercises that include active duty, guard and reserve U.S. forces, as well as military personnel from Australia, New Zealand and several other Pacific Rim nations.

The exchange enhanced communication knowledge and focused on radio and equipment care and maintenance, command and control, emergency preparedness and standardizing radio procedures.

Maj. Jerome Guerrero, executive officer of 422nd ESB, was impressed with the knowledge and ingenuity of his Tongan counterparts. "Their ability to persevere despite limited equipment assets and compatibility was impressive," Guerrero said.

The team from Nevada also visited several Tongan military installations, toured the nation's newest naval ship and observed newly-created basic training classes.

Capt. Alex Kassebaum, a Reno Police Department detective and a member of the 152nd Airlift Wing Operations Group, visited the Women and Children Crisis Centre with Col. JoAnn Meacham, Headquarters Nevada Air National Guard, to support the Women, Peace and Security National Action Plan through high-level discussions with female senior leaders and female Tongan officers.

Discussions included domestic violence within His Majesty's Armed Forces and reporting procedures used in the U.S. military and Nevada National Guard.

"The approach to protecting these women and providing them with a way out is similar to programs here in Nevada and something both communities could expand upon," Kassebaum said.

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...