An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Nov. 29, 2011

Kuwait: Minnesota Guard member recalls two decades, two trips

By Spc. Bob Brown 34th Red Bull Infantry Division

CAMP ARIFJAN, Kuwait - Operation Desert Storm liberated Kuwait from Saddam Hussein's forces over 20 years ago. A handful of Minnesota National Guard Soldiers currently serving with the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division also served in the 1991 operation.

One of those soldiers is Chief Warrant officer David Mellon, the Mobility Warrant Officer with the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry

His job consists of coordinating the movement of 1st BCT troops and equipment from home station to Kuwait and throughout the countries and locations our troops are serving.

Conducting an air mobility mission with the 6th Battalion, 101st Airborne Division during Desert Shield/Strom, Mellon was a helicopter mechanic. While the Middle East geography remains the same, the experience he had in 1991 is far different from his current tour in Operation New Dawn.

"Huge differences - Desert Storm was a new battlefield; nothing was established- flight routes, logistics channels or the bases we were pulling out of- you hit the sandbox, you didn't fall in on the PX, you didn't have billeting, you had cots and you had tents," Mellon said. "You dug foxholes, the infrastructure was not in place and equipment often wasn't moved as timely and efficiently as we can move it today."

Although his last tour was two decades ago and under much different circumstances, Operation New Dawn holds special meaning given his first action was the liberation of Kuwait.

"Looking back, during Desert Shield/Storm we came here to liberate Kuwait," he said. "Now here I am in Kuwait trying to get everyone out of a theater; I look at the Soldiers that have deployed more than once with the 1/34th BCT, same feelings, they went in early on in the war in Iraq and here they are—a major player in the effort leaving Iraq."

Mellon knows that his job is essential in assisting with the drawdown of U.S. troops and equipment from Iraq and he enjoys it.

"Transportation is a great job to have in the Army," he said. "The motto in the transportation corps is 'nothing happens until something moves' - it's a nice feeling getting soldiers and equipment to the right place at the right time; it's a key part of what makes every mission successful."

All the soldiers of 1st Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division are expected to return to Minnesota in spring of 2012.

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Gen. Gent Welsh, the adjutant general, Washington National Guard, talks with attendees during a Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems, or CUAS, Summit in Renton, Wash., Nov. 5, 2025. Photo by Joseph Siemandel.
Washington Guard Hosts Summit Ahead of World Cup 2026
By Joseph Siemandel, | Nov. 18, 2025
CAMP MURRAY, Wash. - As the 2026 FIFA World Cup nears and drone threats grow more complex, more than 100 public-sector leaders convened in Renton on Nov. 5, for a Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems, or CUAS, Summit.The summit...

Tech. Sgt. Wolf Russo, Common Operating Picture manager with the Alaska National Guard’s Joint Force Headquarters, demonstrates capabilities of Maven in response to Western Alaska storms at Joint Base-Elmendorf Richardson, Alaska, Nov. 10, 2025. Maven improves communication with joint partners and enhances the COP while tracking supplies and personnel by integrating collected data from SHOUT Nanos. Photo by Azavyon McFarland.
Alaska Guard Launches Critical Communication Method
By Pfc. Azavyon McFarland, | Nov. 18, 2025
BETHEL, Alaska — After severe storms struck Western Alaska earlier this month, members of the Alaska Organized Militia’s Communications and Information Systems Directorate, known as J6, deployed new handheld satellite...

Nebraska and Guam National Guards partner with the Republic of the Marshall Islands through the Department of War National Guard Bureau's State Partnership Program. Graphic by National Guard Bureau.
Nebraska, Guam Guards Partner with Marshall Islands
By Kevin Hynes, | Nov. 18, 2025
LINCOLN, Neb. – Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen announced Nov. 17 that the Nebraska National Guard, alongside the Guam National Guard, has been selected to partner with the Republic of the Marshall Islands through the Department of...