An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | July 27, 2011

Carpenter: Soldier-to-Soldier intervention key to stopping suicides

By Air Force Tech. Sgt. John Orrell National Guard Bureau

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Army National Guard members must intervene to ensure suicides continue to decline from last year’s record numbers, the acting director said here Sunday.

With 112 suicides last year, senior National Guard leaders set a goal in January to halve that number, and Army Maj. Gen. Raymond Carpenter says that – despite a surge in recent months – the Army Guard is doing much better than last year.

“If senior leaders go back to their units and say, ‘hey, we have to re-double our efforts,’ and everybody gets a heighted awareness of suicide, I’m hopeful that will cause people to intervene,” he said at the National Guard Senior Leadership Conference here.

“Effective suicide prevention happens between two people – somebody who has a problem and somebody who helps them,” he said.

“We can do a lot of things at the senior leader level – we can emphasize, we can resource – but where the intervention happens, where somebody stops a suicide, that happens between two Soldiers or a Soldier and another caring person.”

In 2010, suicides were committed 93 percent of the time by males; 77 percent were white; 60 percent were single; 46 percent were of the ages 17 to 24 and 26 percent were of the ages 25 to 29, Carpenter said.

With the number dropping, Carpenter commended his fellow senior leaders, but added that winning this battle will take help from family members and communities.

“Anybody who has a close relationship with a Guard member contemplating suicide needs to know that they can contact the leadership of the National Guard, and we are going to support any kind of intervention we can possibly resource,” he said.

 

 

Related Articles
Capt. Richard
Oregon Guard Supports Ceremony Featuring 103-Year-Old WWII Pilot
By Maj. Wayne Clyne, | May 20, 2026
SALEM, Ore. – The hangar fell quiet for nearly 30 minutes on Armed Forces Day while Capt. Richard "Dick" Nelms stood before a crowd at the B-17 Alliance Museum & Restoration Hangar at Salem McNary Airfield and described, in...

U.S. Soldiers aid Sgt. Josiah McBride, left, serving as part of the Massachusetts National Guard Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear, or CBRN, Task Force Search and Extraction Recon Team 1 in donning personal protective equipment during a CBRN Task Force collective training exercise at Camp Edwards Training Site, Joint Base Cape Cod, Massachusetts, May 16, 2026. Photo by Staff Sgt. Justin Leva.
Massachusetts Guard Strengthens Disaster Response Capabilities
By Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy, | May 20, 2026
BOURNE, Mass. – Massachusetts National Guard Airmen and Soldiers conducted a Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear, or CBRN, Task Force collective training exercise May 14-17 on Joint Base Cape Cod to strengthen the...

U.S. Air National Guard Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe throws the ceremonial first pitch during the Washington Nationals National Guard Appreciation Game at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., May 18, 2026. The first-pitch baseball was presented by Air Force Gen. Steve Nordhaus, chief of the National Guard Bureau, prior to the game honoring National Guard service members and their contributions to the nation. Photo by Staff Sgt. Brianna Rodriguez-Munns.
National Guard Day at Nationals Park Celebrates Guard Service, Community
By Capt. James Mason, | May 19, 2026
WASHINGTON – More than 250 Soldiers and Airmen from throughout the National Guard took part in National Guard Day at Nationals Park in Washington, highlighting the Guard’s service, sacrifice and community connection.Guard...