An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | May 4, 2011

Arkansas Guard rescues boy scouts stranded by flood waters

By Capt. Chris Heathscott Arkansas National Guard

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Ark. - The Arkansas Army National Guard deployed a UH-72a Lakota light utility helicopter just after midnight, May 2, in an effort to assist in the search and rescue of six Boy Scouts and two adults stranded in the vicinity of Albert Pike as a result of recent flooding in the area.

The Guard members successfully located the campers and flew them to safety at approximately 7 a.m., May 3.

The helicopter and crew from A Company, 114th Aviation Regiment, Security and Support Team with the Arkansas Army National Guard, this morning were able to locate and rescue the group from a remote area of the Ouachita National Forrest in southwest Arkansas.

The Boy Scout group from Louisiana had been on a weekend camping trip when heavy rains and storms across the state caused flooding in surrounding streams and cut the group off from their trailhead.

The rugged terrain, heavy weather and dense forest also cut them off from any type of communication signal to contact authorities or families.

The Guard helicopter, piloted by Army Chief Warrant Officer David Specht and co-piloted by Army Chief Warrant Officer Todd Adams, was requested around 3 p.m. on Monday, May 2, to support a search operation by local law enforcement officials near the Albert Pike Camp Ground in Montgomery County.

Inclement weather and heavy rains had hampered search operations and deterred helicopter flights through the mountainous area.

The Guard members consulted weather information and saw that rains and high winds were to clear the search area late in the evening on Monday, so they opted to do a late night search using night vision equipment and the helicopter's array of sensors to locate the stranded campers.

After locating the team of Scouts, Guard members dropped several bags containing food, water, blankets and a radio to sustain the team until morning because it was too dangerous to attempt a landing in the heavily wooded area in the dark.

After refueling and waiting for daylight, the Guard members returned to the site where the campers were just before 7 a.m., Tuesday, May 3, and found a very narrow landing site along a stream where they were able to pick up the campers and their gear and reunite them with family waiting at the search area command center.

Specht said the most difficult portion of the rescue was finding a location near the scouts to land the helicopter.

"Getting in to them was tough. We had to snake down into a narrow area right along a stream and try to stay out of the water at the same time," said Specht.

The crewmembers said the rewarding part of the mission was getting the campers out to reunite with their families who were very anxious, since they had not had contact with the missing scouts since Saturday, April 30.

"I was pretty nervous when we first touched down, not knowing what the fates of any of the Scouts were… if any were injured or worse," said Adams. "Of course you never want anything to happen to kids if it can be prevented. So I felt a lot better when we made contact with one of the leaders and he gave us the thumbs up."

Specht, who has been flying with the National Guard for over 16 years, said this was not his first rescue mission, but it was the first time he had actually flown a rescue mission where he picked up individuals.

"Normally we don't do the pick up," he said. "Instead we guide ground crews in to the location to do the rescue and move people to safety. This situation was unique because the water had cut them off from any kind of ground movement."

Adams said, "We fly a lot together, so that helps us know what each other is thinking and doing when we get in tight spots and situations that require us to communicate precisely on what we each need to do to maneuver the aircraft safely."

Once the mission was complete Guard officials reviewed the video of the mission and lauded both Specht and Adams for their skill and precision in operating their UH-72a Lakota helicopter in the narrow recesses of the stream clearing in order to pick up the stranded Scouts.

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...