An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Dec. 1, 2010

Florida Guardsman leads All-Army soccer team to victory

By Staff Sgt. Blair Heusdens Florida National Guard

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla., - First Lt. Roye Locklear leads an active and busy life; and soccer is an integral part of it.

Recently, Locklear’s experience and passion for the game helped him lead the All-Army Soccer Team to victory in the 2010 Armed Forces Men’s Soccer Championship.

During the Championship match, held at Hurlbert Field in Destin, Fla., on Oct. 24, the Army team defeated the Navy team after a tied game that, after two 15 minute periods of overtime, was still tied at 1-1. The game was decided by penalty kick, with the Army team coming out on top.

“It was one of those games that went down to the wire,” said Locklear.

Locklear was a player on the 2007 All-Army soccer team, which also won the Armed Forces Championship. He went on to serve as the team’s assistant coach in 2009.

When then coach, Sgt. 1st Class Agustin Mendez, retired from the Army last year, Locklear applied for the position and was selected as the coach for the 2010 team.When Locklear’s unit, the 3rd Battalion, 20th Special Forces Group, deployed to Afghanistan in August of 2010, he coordinated with his command to participate with the team, in lieu of taking leave.

After winning the game, Locklear had the opportunity to travel to Suriname to coach the All-Star Team from the Department of Defense in competition, but declined in order to rejoin his unit in Afghanistan.

Locklear, as a Guardsmen, coached a team comprised of 16 active duty Soldiers and two Soldiers from the reserve component who came from bases across the globe. Locklear said his players didn’t even take into account his status as a Guardsman, but respected him as a coach.

“They see me as a coach and like any players, they are looking for guidance, direction and the opportunity to make an impression and contribute to the team,” he said.

The team started out the tournament with a few key players who had minor injuries. Locklear knew most of the returning players from his time with the team in 2007 and 2009 and had a good idea of what to expect tactically from the other teams.

As defending champions, Locklear anticipated each of their competitors to bring their best effort to each game.

“We started off the tournament a little sluggish but came on strong in the later rounds when it mattered most,” said Locklear. “Although the competition was tough, I knew that if we played to our strengths we could retain our title.”

Locklear is currently finishing his deployment as the service detachment commander with Headquarters Support Company of the 3rd Battalion, 20th Special Forces Group in Afghanistan.

When he returns, Locklear plans to return to his full-time job with the Florida National Guard and continue coaching soccer at Bishop Kenny High School in Jacksonville, Fla.

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Gen. Thomas Friloux, adjutant general of Louisiana, and Command Sgt. Maj. Clifford Ockman, command senior enlisted leader of the Louisiana National Guard, join city officials, federal partners and leaders from state agencies during the annual ceremonial walk down Bourbon Street marking the official close of Carnival Season in New Orleans, Feb. 18, 2026. Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras security operations as part of Operation NOLA Safe. Photo by Capt. Peter Drasutis.
Louisiana Guard Supports Law Enforcement Partners During Mardi Gras
By Capt. Peter Drasutis, | Feb. 20, 2026
NEW ORLEANS – Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported federal, state and local law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras operations in the French Quarter, assisting with crowd management, emergency response and...

U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Matthew Wright, a cyber analyst with the 267th Intelligence Squadron, poses for a photo on Otis Air National Guard Base, Massachusetts, Feb. 18, 2026. Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration between the Department of the Air Force Artificial Intelligence Accelerator program and the private research university. Photo by Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy.
Massachusetts Guardsman Collaborates With Top AI Researchers in Prestigious Fellowship
By Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy, | Feb. 20, 2026
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Massachusetts National Guard Senior Airman Matthew Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration...

Brig. Gen. Brad Carter, Col. Lindy White and Capt. E.J. Johnson, Oklahoma Army National Guard, are joined by Oklahoma Rep. Chris Kannady, as well as representatives from Flintco Construction, Larson Design Group and Oklahoma Army National Guard Construction and Facilities Maintenance Office, during the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center in Oklahoma City, Feb. 19, 2026. The 35,000-square-foot facility is at the Oklahoma City Military Complex in Oklahoma City. Amenities within the wellness center include a fully equipped workout space for resistance training and agility, indoor and outdoor meditation spaces, a chapel, conference rooms, classroom spaces and a teaching kitchen. The facility also houses Oklahoma National Guard programs and services, including Behavioral Health; Chaplain; Equal Employment Opportunity; Family Programs; Holistic Health and Fitness; Integrated Primary Prevention; Resilience; Suicide Prevention; Substance Abuse Prevention and Risk Reduction; and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response. Photo by Staff Sgt. Anthony Jones.
Oklahoma National Guard Unveils New Wellness Center
By Leanna Maschino, | Feb. 20, 2026
OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma National Guard leadership held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Feb. 19 for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center, a nearly 35,000-square-foot facility at the Oklahoma City Military Complex."This is a...