An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Feb. 19, 2010

Army Guard's readiness 'incredible,' says Carpenter

By Air Force Master Sgt. Mike R. Smith National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va., - The Army National Guard's readiness is "something to be proud of," the reserve component's top leader said in a recent interview.

"The recruiting numbers that we got today are incredible, the retention rate is unbelievable, and the quality of our Soldiers that we have inside of our formations is nothing short of inspirational," said Maj. Gen. Raymond Carpenter, acting director of the Army National Guard.

The Army National Guard reported its January end strength at 358,442. A total of 4,402 Soldiers were recruited surpassing a goal of 4,100, which is 107 percent. Retention numbers for January were reported at nearly 124 percent of the assigned mission, with 3,115 Soldiers retained.

Future recruiting and retention targets, said the general, will more than likely remain steady in Fiscal Year 2011. "I really believe this depends upon what happens in the world, what happens in the United States [and] what is the responsibility of the National Guard," Carpenter said.

Although referral dollars earned through the Guard Recruiting and Assistance Program (G-RAP) provide incentive for Guardmembers to recruit friends and family, the general said it really requires people who like being a part of the National Guard to bring in others.

"So recruiting has to be vigorous and viable," he said. "It has to be adaptable; it has to fill those 44,000 slots [annually] that we have out there."

Carpenter said leaders learned a lot after 9/11 about the Guard's identity and its importance as a family organization that takes care of Soldiers, families and employers.

"If you're going to ask people to mobilize and deploy on fairly frequent cycles … you have to give consideration to the whole family - to what's going on inside that Soldier's life," he said.

Carpenter also noted that Army Guard family readiness groups grew well beyond their pre-9/11 role to being an integral part of the command team now. "They are a functioning part of our team in the National Guard, and that's a big deal," he said.

In addition to those readiness successes, officials here reported that the Army Guard reduced the number of non prior-service recruits awaiting their initial training. Last year, leaders pointed out those delays as a problem.

Guard officials said increased collaboration with the Army for training seats as well as the creation of an inactive duty Recruit Force Pool Program reduced their training pipelines by 37 percent - that pipeline is currently 29,855 Soldiers compared to 47,169 Soldiers one year ago.

Carpenter also said the Guard's requirement to reduce 10,000 Soldiers in its end strength by September 2009 allowed it to select and keep the "highest quality Soldiers" in its ranks.

"Our (military occupational specialty) qualification rate went from around 80 percent to well over 90 percent during that period of time," he said. "So, the readiness inside the Army National Guard today is incredible."

 

 

Related Articles
Indiana National Guardsmen with the 113th Engineer Battalion assist the Indianapolis Fire Department with flood evacuations Aug. 15, 2026, in response to devastating storms that swept through Indiana. Photo by Staff Sgt. Christopher Estrada.
Indiana National Guard Answers Call for Storm Relief
By Master Sgt. Jeff Lowry, | Aug. 21, 2026
INDIANAPOLIS — More than 70 Indiana National Guard Soldiers and Airmen deployed across the state to conduct water rescues, clear debris and support communities after heavy rainfall, flooding and damaging winds struck...

This screen grab from a video captures a water drop over the Bug Fire north of Reno Aug. 11. More than 13,000 residents were evacuated, and tens of thousands more were prepared to evacuate valleys north of Reno during the Bug, Stallion and Fred Mountain fires. Eleven structures were lost, but initial fire predictions forecast far worse outcomes following the fires’ ignition Aug. 9.
Nevada Guard Wraps up Wildfire Response, Air Guard Joins Fight
By Capt. Emerson Marcus, | Aug. 21, 2026
RENO, Nev. — More than 13,000 residents evacuated communities north of Reno as three wildfires threatened thousands of homes, prompting the Nevada National Guard to deploy helicopters, security forces and other resources to...

U.S. Army Sgt. Andrew Foley, a motor transport operator with the Wisconsin Army National Guard’s 1157th Transportation Company, restricts vehicle access to residential streets undergoing utility repairs in Menasha, Wis., July 31. Foley was one of 85 Wisconsin Soldiers placed on state active duty to assist Winnebago County civil authorities following severe storm damage in the region as part of Task Force Sturgeon. Photo by Paul Gorman.
Wisconsin National Guard Concludes Storm Recovery Mission
By Paul Gorman, | Aug. 21, 2026
MENASHA, Wis. — The Wisconsin Army National Guard concluded more than two weeks of state activation supporting storm recovery efforts in Winnebago County Aug. 15.The Soldiers were activated July 30 following a state of...