An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Jan. 13, 2010

National Guard ready to help in Haiti

By Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va., - The chief of the National Guard Bureau said today that the Army and Air National Guard are prepared to help in the humanitarian relief effort in Haiti.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Haitian people, who have been devastated by this earthquake," said Air Force Gen. Craig R. McKinley, chief National Guard Bureau. "The National Guard stands ready to work with the Army and the Air Force to provide humanitarian assistance to Haiti when called upon."

Specifically, the Puerto Rico National Guard, which is one of the closest U.S. territories in the area, has personnel and equipment on standby if they are needed.

The Puerto Rico Army Guard has alerted three UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters from the 1/111th Aviation Company along with 12 crew members, and the Puerto Rico Air Guard has called up two C-130 aircraft from the 156th Airlift Wing with 21 support personnel, said Army Capt. Paul Dahlen, the state public affairs officer.

He said the aircraft have anticipated deployment times, but they are waiting for final approvals.

U.S. Southern Command is coordinating with the State Department and U.S. Agency for International Development to assess the situation after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake left perhaps thousands of people dead and many more trapped beneath collapsed buildings, officials reported.

"If we are asked by the Department of State and the Department of Defense to provide assistance, we would do so in a supporting role," according to a statement from SOUTHCOM. "The U.S. Agency for International Development's Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance is the lead U.S. government agency for U.S. disaster relief efforts."

Command officials said they will deploy a team of 30 people to Haiti today, including military engineers, operational planners and a command and control group and communication specialists on the two C-130 Hercules aircraft from the Puerto Rico Air National Guard. The team will work with U.S. Embassy personnel as well as Haitian, United Nations and other officials to assess the situation to provide follow-on support.

The last time the National Guard supported relief efforts in Haiti was 2008, when eight Air National Guard medical personnel were onboard the USS Kearsarge when it was diverted from its Continuing Promise mission to Haiti, which was devastated by Hurricane Ike.

"With nearly 450,000 people throughout 54 states and territories, the National Guard can deploy and respond to any disaster as needed, anywhere," said Walt Debany, a spokesman for the National Guard Bureau.

According to news reports, the quake was felt in the Dominican Republic as well as Guantanamo Bay.

Arkansas and Rhode Island Guardsmen currently deployed to Joint Task Force Guantanamo also felt the tremors from yesterday's earthquake in Haiti.

Air Force Lt. Col. Denise Boyer, the commander of the 474th Expeditionary Combat Engineering Squadron, which is made up of about 50 Air National Guard members, said she was in her tent when the earthquake hit yesterday after duty hours.

"The tent shook, the floor shook, everything kind of rumbled around," she said. "Honestly, it felt like a big 18-wheeler rolled by outside."

Boyer said they have previously experienced seismic activity at Gitmo, but "this was definitely bigger than what we had in the past."

The Navy engineers at Gitmo are dealing with some water breaks, but Boyer said her engineers are not responsible for any hard structures on the base.

"Tents fair a lot better in an earthquake," she said.

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. and Botswana military personnel pose for a photo following the closing ceremony for Exercise Southern Accord 2026 at Gaborone Technical College in Gaborone, Botswana, Aug. 15. The biennial exercise, held Aug. 10-15, supports U.S. Africa Command’s objectives of empowering willing and able African partners to lead efforts to degrade and disrupt illicit activities and malign actors in the region. Photo by Staff Sgt. Reanna Hartgrove.
Southern Accord 2026 Concludes With Renewed Commitment to Partnership
By 2nd Lt. Bridget Pittman-Blackwell, | Aug. 19, 2026
BOTSWANA — Exercise Southern Accord 2026 concluded with North Carolina National Guard and Botswana Defence Force leaders reaffirming their commitment to strengthening military partnerships and regional cooperation during a...

Air Force Lt. Gen. Steven S. Nordhaus, 30th Chief of the National Guard Bureau, speaks at the 2026 State Partnership Program Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, in August.
Nordhaus, Raines highlight global impact of State Partnership Program
By Staff Sgt. Kelly Boyer, | Aug. 18, 2026
SAVANNAH, Ga. — Air Force Gen. Steve Nordhaus, chief of the National Guard Bureau, and Senior Enlisted Advisor John Raines, senior enlisted advisor to the chief, highlighted the State Partnership Program’s growing role in...

2026 State Partnership Program Conference graphic
National Guard Recognizes Top State Partnership Program Achievements
By National Guard Bureau | Aug. 18, 2026
SAVANNAH, Ga. — The National Guard Bureau announced the recipients of the 2025 State Partnership Program (SPP) Awards during a recent conference, recognizing individuals, teams and partnerships whose achievements strengthened...