An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Aug. 17, 2012

New USNORTHCOM deputy commander promoted

By Sgt. Darron Salzer, U.S. Army National Guard National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va. - Air Force Maj. Gen. Michael Dubie, former adjutant general of the Vermont National Guard, and incoming deputy commander of United States Northern Command and vice commander of U.S. Element, North American Aerospace Defense Command, was promoted to lieutenant general during a Pentagon ceremony Aug. 14.

The chief of the National Guard Bureau, Air Force Gen. Craig McKinley hosted the event on behalf of Gen. Charles Jacoby, USNORTHCOM commander. Dubie's wife, Amy, their three daughters, and many family, friends and colleagues also attended the ceremony.

"That third star was richly earned and is richly deserved," McKinley said.

"It's an honor for me to be here," said Dubie, who recounted several experiences over his years as adjutant general that have shaped and prepared him for the role he assumes at USNORTHCOM on Aug. 27.

"I promise you that at NORTHCOM … I'll be a proud member of the National Guard, I'll be a proud member of the U.S. Air Force and I'll be a proud member of the joint team," he said during the ceremony.

Dubie has served as the Vermont National Guard's adjutant general since 2006, and highlights of his six-year tenure include the overseas deployment of Vermont Guard members, the Vermont Air National Guard's selection as a preferred site for the F-35 Lightning II multirole fighter jet and Vermont's recovery from last year's Hurricane Irene, in which the National Guard played a significant role.

Created in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, USNORTHCOM's key homeland defense and defense support of civil authorities missions match key National Guard missions. It is co-located with NORAD at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colo.

The first National Guard general officer to serve as deputy commander at USNORTHCOM was retired Army Lt. Gen. H Steven Blum, a former chief of the National Guard Bureau. His successor was Army Lt. Gen. Frank Grass, who was recently selected as the 27th chief of the National Guard Bureau.

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...