An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Sept. 10, 2010

Officials Extend Spouse Career Program Deadline

By Elaine Wilson American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON - Officials have extended a spouse employment program enrollment deadline in the hopes that more military spouses will be able to take spring semester classes.

Effective Sept. 13, spouses currently enrolled in the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program, commonly known as MyCAA, will be able to request financial assistance for classes with a start date that is on or before Jan. 31. Previously, the start-date cutoff was Jan. 15.

However, spouses still must submit their financial assistance request by Oct. 21, officials emphasized.

The change was based on feedback from spouses and schools. Many schools offer a later start date for the spring semester, and extending the enrollment deadline will give more spouses the opportunity to attend courses, said Robert L. Gordon III, deputy undersecretary of defense for military community and family policy.

"We appreciate the feedback from military spouses currently participating in the MyCAA career advancement program," Gordon said.

MyCAA is active at this time only for currently enrolled spouses, who can participate in the program through Oct. 21. At that time, the program will ramp down in preparation for the Oct. 25 launch of a revamped program.

Earlier this year, officials reviewed the popular spouse employment program and decided to make changes to bring it back to its original intent: equipping spouses of junior servicemembers with portable careers, such as real estate and home health care, that can convey from duty station to duty station.

Previously, MyCAA offered a lifetime benefit of $6,000 to all spouses of servicemembers. But starting Oct. 25, financial assistance will be limited to spouses of active duty servicemembers in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2. Spouses of Guard and Reserve members within those ranks can participate as long as they can start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders.

Eligible spouses will be able to receive a maximum financial benefit of $4,000 for up to three years from the start date of the first class, with a $2,000 annual cap. The money can be used to fund associate's degrees, licenses and certification programs, but not higher degrees. The annual cap can be waived if a license or certification's cost exceeds $2,000.

Currently enrolled spouses who meet the new criteria will be able to continue with the program after Oct. 25, but under the new parameters.

Spouses who no longer will be eligible to receive financial assistance after Oct. 25 still will be able to access career and education counseling services. The new MyCAA program will include assistance in identifying and securing information on additional financial resources, employment readiness, and career exploration and counseling for all spouses of active duty servicemembers.

Military spouses can find more information about MyCAA on the Military OneSource website at militaryonesource.com or by calling Military OneSource at 1-800-342-9647.

 

 

Related Articles
Crew and aircraft from the New York National Guard's 109th Airlift Wing attend the EAA Airventure Airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, July 2026. Photo by Master Sgt. Jamie Spaulding.
New York Guard Showcases Polar Airlift Mission
By Master Sgt. Jamie Spaulding, | July 28, 2026
OSHKOSH, Wis. – The New York Air Guard’s 109th Airlift Wing joined more than 10,000 aircraft and hundreds of thousands of aviation enthusiasts last week at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, the world’s largest annual gathering of...

U.S. Army Soldiers with the 252nd Engineer Company, assigned to the 130th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, assigned to Joint Task Force-Southern Border, or JTF-SB, in support of Operation Ardent Vanguard, pose for a photo in Rio Grande Valley, Texas, July 9, 2026, after assisting a driver following a single-vehicle rollover during a routine patrol. The Soldiers provided immediate assistance until local authorities arrived. U.S. Northern Command is working side-by-side with the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection within narrowly defined authorities to provide unique military capabilities to protect the territorial integrity of the U.S. southern border. Courtesy photo.
Pennsylvania Guard Soldiers Aid Motorist After Rollover Crash
By Capt. Shamari Pratt, | July 28, 2026
RIO GRANDE VALLEY, Texas – Three Pennsylvania National Guard Soldiers, 252nd Engineer Company assigned to the 130th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, Joint Task Force–Southern Border, or JTF-SB, in support of Operation Ardent...

Sgt. 1st Class Jose Morales, left, and Sgt. Stephannie LaCasse, both flight medics with the Massachusetts National Guard Detachment 1, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, General Support Aviation Battalion, use an artificial manual breathing unit on a medical simulation mannequin in the Boston MedFlight simulation training center at their Bedford, Massachusetts headquarters, July 17, 2026. The training is part of a critical care training course. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton.
Massachusetts Guard Flight Medics Strengthen Skills
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton, | July 27, 2026
BEDFORD, Mass. – Soldiers from the Massachusetts National Guard’s Detachment 1, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, General Support Aviation Battalion, recently spent two weeks training with flight paramedics...