An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Feb. 20, 2013

Defense Department preparing for furloughs, Panetta tells Congress

By Jim Garamone American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta has notified Congress that the Defense Department is prepared to implement furloughs for civilian personnel in response to the threat of sequestration.

In a memo to all employees, Panetta vowed to continue working with Congress to avoid sequestration, which would add $470 billion to the $487 billion in defense spending cuts the department already is making over the next 10 years. If Congress cannot agree on an alternative deficit reduction plan, the cuts go into effect March 1.

Panetta and every other defense leader have called the cuts dangerous. They would come on top of cuts imposed by operating under a continuing resolution. For fiscal year 2013, the effect will be further magnified, because the cuts must be done in the final six months of the fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30.

"In the event of sequestration, we will do everything we can to be able to continue to perform our core mission of providing for the security of the United States," Panetta wrote in the memo, "but there is no mistaking that the rigid nature of the cuts forced upon this department, and their scale, will result in a serious erosion of readiness across the force."

Panetta and DOD leaders long have expressed deep concern about the direct impact sequestration will have on military personnel, civilian employees and families. Flexibility in sequestration is limited, the secretary said in his memo, noting that while military personnel are exempt from direct impact, services on bases will deteriorate, and families may feel the pinch in other ways.

Civilian employees will be furloughed if sequestration is triggered. Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter said last week that civilian employees could lose 20 percent of their normal income through September.

"I can assure you that, if we have to implement furloughs, all affected employees will be provided at least 30 days’ notice prior to executing a furlough, and your benefits will be protected to the maximum extent possible," Panetta wrote.

DOD will work to ensure furloughs are executed in a consistent and appropriate manner, the secretary said, and Pentagon officials also will continue work with employee unions.

"Our most important asset at the department is our world-class personnel," Panetta wrote. "You are fighting every day to keep our country strong and secure, and rest assured that the leaders of this department will continue to fight with you and for you."

The memo may be read here.

 

 

 

Related Articles
Virginia National Guard Soldiers assigned to the Powhatan-based 1033rd Engineer Support Company, 276th Engineer Battalion, 329th Regional Support Group support a multi-national exercise in Mongolia during the unit’s annual training. Khaan Quest 2026 concluded July 3, 2026, with a closing ceremony at the Five Hills Training Area near Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. The Asian nation has hosted the peacekeeping operations exercise annually since 2003, co-sponsored by U.S. Pacific Command. Courtesy photo.
Virginia Guardsmen Strengthen Engineering Skills in Mongolia
By Maj. Johnny Partin, | July 29, 2026
ULAANBAATAR, Mongolia – Virginia National Guard Soldiers assigned to the Powhatan-based 1033rd Engineer Support Company, 276th Engineer Battalion, 329th Regional Support Group recently supported a multinational exercise in...

U.S. Air Force Airman 1st Class Ty Bishop, an Arkansas National Guard 123rd Intelligence Squadron Signals Intelligence analyst serving in the 188th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, graduated with a perfect score from the 1N2X1 technical training at Goodfellow Air Force Base, San Angelo, Texas, July 10, 2026. Courtesy photo.
Arkansas Guard Airman Graduates With Perfect Score From Technical School
By Tech. Sgt. Patricia Teare, | July 29, 2026
EBBING AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Ark. – An Arkansas National Guard Airman made history by becoming the first to graduate with a perfect score on the Apprentice Electronic Signals Intelligence Analyst Course.Airman 1st Class Ty...

West Virginia and Connecticut National Guard Soldiers help load 2,500 hygiene kits assembled at Scouting America's 2026 National Jamboree by Scouts and Jamboree volunteers as well as nearly 2,500 cleaning bucket kits to be delivered to the Weston and Buckhannon Disaster Relief centers. Guardsmen also transported pallets of excess food donated from the National Jamboree’s own supply. Courtesy photo.
West Virginia, Connecticut Guardsmen Support Scouting’s National Jamboree
By West Virginia National Guard | July 29, 2026
GLEN JEAN, W.Va. – National Guardsmen from West Virginia and Connecticut are working closely with local organizations and Scouting America to ensure one of the country’s largest youth events runs smoothly and remains safe for...