An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 16, 2009

Killey, Arnold recognized at dedication ceremony

By Courtesy of 1AF Public Affairs

TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. - A new headquarters complex here at Continental U.S. NORAD Region - 1st Air Force (Air Forces Northern) headquarters was officially opened March 13 in honor of two former commanders.

The dedication honored retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Phillip Killey by designating the new headquarters complex the Killey Center for Homeland Operations. The event also paid tribute to retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Larry Arnold by naming an access road to the complex after him"•L.K. Arnold Way.

General Killey was CONR-1st AF commander from 1994-1998, and General Arnold was commander from 1998-2002.

The audience listened intently as the former leaders were lauded for their many contributions to 1st Air Force during their command years.

"We are here to honor the achievements and to memorialize the accomplishments of two great general officers, both retired, but still extremely active in serving their country," said Air Force Gen. Hank Morrow, current CONR-1st AF commander,.

Among other things, Morrow related how Killey was the first Air National Guard officer to lead an Air Combat Command Numbered Air Force in a federal mission.

"He transformed 1st Air Force into a total force organization," he said.

The commander also described how Arnold rescued 1st Air Force from almost certain closure in 1998 and led the organization through the challenges of Sept. 11, 2001.

"It is a historic day for CONR and 1st Air Force, and I am extremely proud to have had the opportunity to recognize two great leaders in our organization's legacy for decades to come," said Morrow. "We owe a debt of gratitude to General Killey and General Arnold, and this tribute was just a small way to ensure that debt is paid in full."

Both retired generals expressed sincere appreciation for the honors that were bestowed upon them and reminisced briefly about their years as 1st Air Force commanders.

Killey said he was honored by the dedication. "When General Morrow told me about this over the phone, I couldn't even speak for five minutes," he said. "Now, when I see my name on this building, I am deeply honored and humbled."

He also commented on his tenure as commander, leading the transformation of 1st Air Force from an active duty organization to a guard-led organization in the mid-to-late 1990s.

"I was there at the beginning and believed it was a good idea, that it made sense," he said. "It was a major challenge, but we made it happen on time and under cost. Today, no one does their job more professionally than 1st Air Force."

Commenting on Sept. 11, 2001, when he was serving as 1st Air Force commander, Arnold said he is extremely proud of the men and women who served under him at that time, noting their willingness to work long and difficult hours both that day and in the weeks and months afterward to respond to the crisis.

"We had tremendous responsibility on our shoulders, but our people responded rapidly," he said. "First Air Force has done a lot of things since then to be ready for this type of event. Our country is now very well prepared compared to the day before 9/11."

Other distinguished visitors attending the ceremony were Gen. Craig R. McKinley, chief, National Guard Bureau; Lt. Gen. J.J.C. (Charlie) Bouchard, deputy commander of NORAD; retired Gen Ed Eberhart, NORTHCOM's first commander; and Congressman F. Allen Boyd, who represents Florida's Second Congressional District.

In his remarks, General McKinley congratulated the two former commanders, and referred to them as, "mentors, leaders and friends" of all young officers today.

Speaking on behalf of NORAD-U.S NORTHCOM commander Gen. Victor E. Renuart, who was unable to attend the ceremony, Bouchard said the event was a great tribute to both former commanders who served their country with gallantry.

During the ceremony a ribbon was cut, officially marking the opening of the new, three-phase headquarters complex, two phases of which have been completed.

Groundbreaking for the third and final phase occurred earlier this year and is scheduled to be completed in 2010.

Visitors were invited to take a tour of the complex, which features state-of-the-art blade computer technology that offers centralized control of PCs; lights that dim automatically, depending on the amount of available natural light; and other modern features.

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Air National Guard Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe throws the ceremonial first pitch during the Washington Nationals National Guard Appreciation Game at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., May 18, 2026. The first-pitch baseball was presented by Air Force Gen. Steve Nordhaus, chief of the National Guard Bureau, prior to the game honoring National Guard service members and their contributions to the nation. Photo by Staff Sgt. Brianna Rodriguez-Munns.
National Guard Day at Nationals Park Celebrates Guard Service, Community
By Capt. James Mason, | May 19, 2026
WASHINGTON – More than 250 Soldiers and Airmen from throughout the National Guard took part in National Guard Day at Nationals Park in Washington, highlighting the Guard’s service, sacrifice and community connection.Guard...

A group of U.S service members and Royal Moroccan Armed Forces perform care on a newborn baby after an emergency cesarean section during an African Lion 26 humanitarian civic assistance mission at El Faid, Morocco, April 30, 2026. The humanitarian civic assistance mission reflected the enduring Department of War National Guard Bureau State Partnership Program relationship between the U.S. and Morocco, with Utah National Guard and Moroccan military medical teams providing medical, surgical, dental and diagnostic services. The partnership reinforces the commitment to regional stability built through cooperation. African Lion 26 is U.S. Africa Command's largest annual joint exercise, designed to strengthen collective security capabilities of the U.S., African nations and global allies. Led by U.S. Army Southern European Task Force, Africa, or SETAF-AF, from April 20 to May 8, 2026, and hosted in Ghana, Morocco, Senegal and Tunisia, African Lion involves over 5,600 civilian and military personnel from more than 40 nations, using innovation to drive partner-led regional security. Photo by Sgt. Lark Sine.
Utah Guard, Morocco Partners Provide Medical Care in African Lion
By Sgt. Lark Sine, | May 19, 2026
EL FAID, Morocco – Utah National Guardsmen and the Moroccan Royal Armed Forces redefined what partnership looks like through shared expertise, innovation and expanding access to impactful care, under a network of...

U.S. Air Force Master Sgt. Jason Harden, 177th Fighter Wing Chaplain Corps religious affairs superintendent, poses for an environmental portrait at the 177th Fighter Wing, Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, May 16, 2026. Harden was awarded the Air National Guard Chaplain Corps Minutemen Award for 2025 for his actions during the DC Safe and Beautiful mission. Photo by Staff Sgt. Kevin Ray J. Salvador.
New Jersey Guardsman Given Air Guard Chaplain Corps Minuteman Award
By Airman Alex Cadavid, | May 18, 2026
ATLANTIC CITY AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, N.J. – U.S. Air Force Master Sgt. Jason Harden, Chaplain Corps superintendent assigned to the New Jersey National Guard’s 177th Fighter Wing, was awarded the prestigious Air National...