An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Feb. 2, 2009

New Air Guard director promoted in Pentagon ceremony

By Army Staff Sgt. Jon Soucy National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va. - Lt. Gen. Harry M. Wyatt III became director of the Air National Guard and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant general by Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton A. Schwartz and Air Force Gen. Craig McKinley, chief of the National Guard Bureau, in a ceremony held at the Pentagon today.

Wyatt, who previously served as the adjutant general of the Oklahoma National Guard, was nominated in December by then President George W. Bush to the U.S. Senate for confirmation as the director of the Air National Guard.

Wyatt succeeds McKinley, who served as the Air Guard's director for more than two years until becoming chief on Nov. 17, 2008.

In this position, Wyatt will be responsible for formulating, developing and coordinating all policies, plans and programs affecting more than 106,800 Air Guard members in more than 88 flying wings and 200 geographically separated units throughout the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands.

"This is a special day for members of the Air National Guard," said McKinley.

He added that among the current adjutants general, Wyatt was often the go-to person on many issues affecting the Air Guard.

Wyatt, who also served as commander of the 138th Fighter Wing in Tulsa and as the Oklahoma Guard's chief of staff for its Joint Force Headquarters, said he was humbled by the promotion.

"I'm actually just Bud, from Oklahoma," he said after receiving his third star.

He entered the Air Force in 1971 and has flown aircraft such as the F-100 Super Sabre and the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

Wyatt also said he looks forward to the challenges of his new position. "I look forward, sir, to being a part of your team," he said to McKinley. "I'm humbled to be here and ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work."

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...