An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Sept. 22, 2008

Guardmembers eligible for 'Safe Haven' compensation

By Staff Sgt. Jon Soucy, U.S. Army National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va. - When Hurricane Ike made landfall on the Texas coast, it left behind damaged and destroyed buildings, massive flooding, and thousands of residents without power or, in many cases, without homes.

For many of those affected by hurricanes and other natural disasters, it can be a time of uncertainty. But for some National Guard members, assistance is available if a hurricane or other natural disaster strikes.

The Safe Haven program offers additional financial compensation to Guardmembers on Title 10 or Title 32 active duty status who must evacuate an area because of a natural disaster.

"Safe Haven provides for a National Guard or an active duty member or a federal employee to be compensated for their relocation to a safe haven," said Blaine Coffey, chief of Personnel Readiness and Compensation at the National Guard Bureau.

That compensation, said Coffey, covers transportation expenses to a safe area as well as expenses to return to the Guardmember's home or duty station.

Additionally, Guardmembers are eligible for compensation at the full per diem rate, which includes lodging, meals and incidental expenses, for up to 30 days. They may be compensated for up to 180 days, but the daily per diem rate drops to 60 percent after the first 30 days.

Before a Guardmember can take advantage of the benefit, however, an evacuation order must be issued in writing by federal or local officials. "It's incumbent upon the competent authority to declare your duty station or quarters to be uninhabitable," said Coffey.

Additional limitations apply to what qualifies as a safe haven location. One limitation is that if the Guardmember elects to stay with family or friends, that individual does not qualify for lodging expenses, said Coffey.

The Safe Haven entitlement grew out of an older benefit intended for those in embassies and other overseas locations. "It was more associated with embassies and locales that in many, many cases had to be evacuated based upon the threat to life or limb of the members, not from natural disasters necessarily, but that of actual armed conflict," said Coffey.

That began to change when Hurricane Andrew devastated southern Florida in 1992. "When there had been major incidents in the United States back in the early '90s beginning with the evacuation of Homestead Air Force Base [because of Hurricane Andrew], DoD began to look in more detail at the authority for entitlements of the active component member and his or her family to be evacuated from an installation like Homestead," said Coffey.

Hurricane Katrina changed the way the law affected Guardmembers. "We had a number of Guardmembers in two major brigades in Mississippi and Louisiana that were on Title 10 orders. So they were active duty members having their homes destroyed, having their duty locations destroyed - whether it be Jackson Barracks or any number of installations in Louisiana," said Coffey.

While Soldiers on Title 10 orders were covered by Safe Haven, those on Title 32 orders were not. That changed with Hurricane Katrina.

"What we did during Katrina and Rita was to get an exception to policy waiver authority to include Title 32 members for eligibility for Safe Haven benefits," said Coffey. "At the same time, we recognized that Katrina was not isolated. We are going to continue to have this potential issue."

The authority to have similar benefits apply if a similar disaster occurred was put into place and recently the law was changed to include Title 32 Guardmembers as well.

The number of people who have taken advantage of the Safe Haven benefits during recent hurricanes has been low. "Within the Guard, at this point the numbers aren't tremendously large, but during Katrina it was close to 1,000 members," said Coffey. "You had so many Title 10 mobilized Soldiers returning and many of them were given the option to stay on duty. That was part of the soft landing that we tried to formulate for the Soldiers."

Those who believe they may be eligible for benefits under Safe Haven should contact their state's joint forces headquarters personnel office. "The state J1, human resources office and the [United States Property and Fiscal Office] administer the program under the Joint Federal Travel Regulations," he said. "The J1 usually issues a statement of items which would make the member eligible."

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Gen. Thomas Friloux, adjutant general of Louisiana, and Command Sgt. Maj. Clifford Ockman, command senior enlisted leader of the Louisiana National Guard, join city officials, federal partners and leaders from state agencies during the annual ceremonial walk down Bourbon Street marking the official close of Carnival Season in New Orleans, Feb. 18, 2026. Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras security operations as part of Operation NOLA Safe. Photo by Capt. Peter Drasutis.
Louisiana Guard Supports Law Enforcement Partners During Mardi Gras
By Capt. Peter Drasutis, | Feb. 20, 2026
NEW ORLEANS – Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported federal, state and local law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras operations in the French Quarter, assisting with crowd management, emergency response and...

U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Matthew Wright, a cyber analyst with the 267th Intelligence Squadron, poses for a photo on Otis Air National Guard Base, Massachusetts, Feb. 18, 2026. Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration between the Department of the Air Force Artificial Intelligence Accelerator program and the private research university. Photo by Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy.
Massachusetts Guardsman Collaborates With Top AI Researchers in Prestigious Fellowship
By Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy, | Feb. 20, 2026
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Massachusetts National Guard Senior Airman Matthew Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration...

Brig. Gen. Brad Carter, Col. Lindy White and Capt. E.J. Johnson, Oklahoma Army National Guard, are joined by Oklahoma Rep. Chris Kannady, as well as representatives from Flintco Construction, Larson Design Group and Oklahoma Army National Guard Construction and Facilities Maintenance Office, during the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center in Oklahoma City, Feb. 19, 2026. The 35,000-square-foot facility is at the Oklahoma City Military Complex in Oklahoma City. Amenities within the wellness center include a fully equipped workout space for resistance training and agility, indoor and outdoor meditation spaces, a chapel, conference rooms, classroom spaces and a teaching kitchen. The facility also houses Oklahoma National Guard programs and services, including Behavioral Health; Chaplain; Equal Employment Opportunity; Family Programs; Holistic Health and Fitness; Integrated Primary Prevention; Resilience; Suicide Prevention; Substance Abuse Prevention and Risk Reduction; and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response. Photo by Staff Sgt. Anthony Jones.
Oklahoma National Guard Unveils New Wellness Center
By Leanna Maschino, | Feb. 20, 2026
OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma National Guard leadership held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Feb. 19 for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center, a nearly 35,000-square-foot facility at the Oklahoma City Military Complex."This is a...