An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | July 17, 2008

Minnesota signs National Guard's first family covenant

By Staff Sgt. Jim Greenhill National Guard Bureau

ST. PAUL, Minn. - A first for the National Guard achieved by Minnesota will likely be discussed at the National Guard Bureau's Joint Family Program Volunteer Workshop and Youth Symposium in St. Louis, Mo., beginning Monday.

Last month, Minnesota became the first National Guard state to formally sign an official family covenant.

Secretary of the Army Pete Geren, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and other elected officials and commanders from all service branches joined LTG H Steven Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau, and Maj. Gen. Larry Shellito, Minnesota's adjutant general, to sign Minnesota's Military Family and Community Covenant on June 16.

"This is the gold standard for how to take care of Soldiers and their families," Blum said. "Minnesota is leading the way for the nation."

"The Minnesota Military Family and Community Covenant recognizes the increasing sacrifices that our servicemembers are making every day," Shellito said, "and lays out specific actions that both military and civilian leadership can do to sustain the assistance programs that work, expand on those that need it, and create an even higher sense of awareness among the great citizens of Minnesota."

Among other goals, the covenant aims to provide better services to assist Citizen-Soldiers and their families, expand services to wounded warriors and to help Soldiers returning from deployments.

Senior leaders worldwide began signing Army family covenants in 2007, pledging $1.4 billion for Soldier and family programs. Minnesota was the first Guard state to get on board.

The Minnesota National Guard has a program called Beyond the Yellow Ribbon for returning combat veterans.

"Returning from combat to civilian life has never been easy," Shellito, a Vietnam combat veteran, said in a June report to Congress about the pilot program. "We ask our National Guard Soldiers and their families to make this transition with little to no training and preparation for the challenges they face. We owe them better in light of the service they've selflessly rendered."

Beyond the Yellow Ribbon provides a smorgasbord of Soldier and family support from before deployment to long after the return home. Elements include mental and spiritual preparation for the transition from citizen to warrior, marriage enrichment workshops, counseling, reintegration training and long-term support through other activities.

The program partners the Minnesota National Guard with community educational, government and medical institutions.

Participants at next week's symposium in St. Louis will discuss such state initiatives and hear from leaders from around the nation.

Among scheduled speakers at the symposium: Adm. Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; Thomas Hall, assistant secretary of defense for Reserve Affairs; and Lt. Gen. Craig McKinley, the Air National Guard director who on Wednesday was recommended by Defense Secretary Robert Gates to be the next chief of the National Guard Bureau and the first to hold the position as a four-star general.

Note: Pfc. Stephanie Cassinos of the Minnesota National Guard and Susan Huseman of Army News Service contributed to this report.

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...