An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Oct. 30, 2007

Football fans honor Guardmembers who stayed on duty despite wildfire losses

By Staff Sgt. Jim Greenhill National Guard Bureau

SAN DIEGO, Ca. - The governor, the San Diego Chargers and a cheering crowd of 60,439 football fans consoled and thanked four National Guard Citizen-Soldiers in pre-game ceremonies here Oct. 28.

Despite personal losses from the Southern California wildfires, the four members of the California Army National Guard stayed on duty.

Pvt. 1st Class Edgar Rivera's cousin died saving his 9-month-old sister's life; both Sgt. Jerrod Dett and Pfc. Ryan Adams lost their homes; and Pfc. Eliza Bealer was evacuated from hers. Yet the four declined to be relieved of their duties, insisting on remaining with the more than 2,000 National Guard Citizen-Soldiers and -Airmen who are assisting civilian authorities fighting the wildfires.

"It's a very devastating thing," said Rivera, whose cousin dropped his 9-month-old sister from a second floor window into his uncle's arms but could not save his own life. "I can't be selfish. There's other families out there that are having problems; more than I do. They lost their home and their family. It's my duty."

For Dett, the deciding moment came out on patrol. "When I saw these evacuees trying to come up the hill and being turned away, I felt that my duty was I needed to help these people," he said.

Bealer agreed: "Not only is it my duty, it's the reason I joined the National Guard," she said.

Struck by what he saw members of the San Diego community doing for each other, Adams felt a part of something bigger than himself. "I'm overwhelmed by the support of everybody," he said. "People have been letting random strangers stay in their houses."

Adams said he's had offers of accommodation and even money from fellow Soldiers who've reached out to support him.

As he stood on the field, then shook hands with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Adams was teary-eyed. Rivera said he felt blessed. Nearby, Bealer fought to restrain her emotions. "This community came together so great," she said. "I'm very proud of this state."

The Soldiers stood alongside firefighters, police and other public servants also honored before the game the same people that National Guard Citizen-Soldiers and Airmen have been assisting in joint efforts throughout the Southern California wildfire fight.

The crowd thanked the Guard, and the Chargers beat the Houston Texans 35-10 in the game at Qualcomm Stadium, which had housed 11,000 evacuees earlier in the week.

National Guard members provided security at the stadium while it was an evacuation center. They helped process tons of donated supplies at the stadium. Closer to the fires, they were still patrolling evacuated neighborhoods, dropping water from helicopters, dropping retardant from aircraft and performing numerous other duties even as the football game continued.

The four Guardmembers honored at the game returned to duty afterwards, helping to provide communications, performing administrative functions and providing other assistance to their communities.

"I was told that I didn't have to stay," Adams said. "It's just what I was taught to do. I'm not trying to be heroic or anything. I'm just trying to do my part."

 

 

Related Articles
Maryland Air National Guard Tech. Sgt. Alexia De Souza, specialist for the 135th Intelligence Squadron; Tech. Sgt. Matthew Holsey with the 175th Maintenance Squadron; and a member of the Estonian Defence Forces participate in Baltic Blitz 25 at Warfield Air National Guard Base at Martin State Airport, Sept. 25, 2025. Members of the Estonian Defence Forces led the exchange by conducting workshops throughout the week focusing on tactics and capabilities related to critical thinking, as well as the collection and management of information. Photo by Airman 1st Class Sarah Hoover.
Maryland Guard Participates in Baltic Blitz 25 With Estonian Partners
By Airman 1st Class Sarah Hoover, | Nov. 19, 2025
MIDDLE RIVER, Md. – The Maryland National Guard recently partnered with Estonia’s Cyber Command to host Baltic Blitz 25, a cybersecurity exchange event, at Warfield Air National Guard Base at Martin State Airport.About 20...

Maj. Gen. Gent Welsh, the adjutant general, Washington National Guard, talks with attendees during a Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems, or CUAS, Summit in Renton, Wash., Nov. 5, 2025. Photo by Joseph Siemandel.
Washington Guard Hosts Summit Ahead of World Cup 2026
By Joseph Siemandel, | Nov. 18, 2025
CAMP MURRAY, Wash. – As the 2026 FIFA World Cup nears and drone threats grow more complex, more than 100 public-sector leaders convened in Renton on Nov. 5, for a Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems, or CUAS, Summit.The summit...

Tech. Sgt. Wolf Russo, Common Operating Picture manager with the Alaska National Guard’s Joint Force Headquarters, demonstrates capabilities of Maven in response to Western Alaska storms at Joint Base-Elmendorf Richardson, Alaska, Nov. 10, 2025. Maven improves communication with joint partners and enhances the COP while tracking supplies and personnel by integrating collected data from SHOUT Nanos. Photo by Azavyon McFarland.
Alaska Guard Launches Critical Communication Method
By Pfc. Azavyon McFarland, | Nov. 18, 2025
BETHEL, Alaska — After severe storms struck Western Alaska earlier this month, members of the Alaska Organized Militia’s Communications and Information Systems Directorate, known as J6, deployed new handheld satellite...