An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Oct. 26, 2007

Guardsmen from across the state rally to support citizens affected by fires

By Staff Sgt. Jessica Inigo 40th IBCT PAO

SAN DIEGO, Ca. - A patchwork of about 2,000 California National Guard soldiers were alerted to southern California beginning early Monday morning to support local authorities with wildfires.

The 40th Infantry Brigade Combat Team"™s San Diego armory and the nearby Montgomery Airfield served as the main hub for its citizen-soldiers arriving across the state. Troops were then sent out to conduct roving patrols throughout reopened communities and in evacuation sites like the Del Mar Fairgrounds and Qualcomm Stadium.

Sgt. Seth Ladabouche, along with other members of C Troop, 1/18th Cavalry Regiment, out of Azusa, Calif., , patroled communities in the east county. Charred trees and soot-covered buildings were the only marks left, while the handful of Poway hillside homes in the area remained largely unharmed from the fires. Traffic Control Points kept the general public from the homes, and patrolling troops within the communities ensured homes were safe while unattended.

In Del Mar, volunteers worked side-by-side with Guardsmen helping to improve distribution points and set-up cots. The growing evacuation site included a senior citizen home from the Rancho Bernardo area, which later had to be moved to the Balboa Naval Medical Center to better facilitate their needs, according to medical officials. Kevin Reilly, of the Department of Public Health, said through guidance of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maj. Gen. William H. Wade II, the California National Guard adjutant general, troops performed the mission better than any drill he had seen.

At Qualcomm Stadium, small groups of military police walked through crowds to keep the peace. During the day when there are many volunteers and activities planned, there remains relative calm. However, MPs said things change at night, especially in the stadium parking lot.

Medics also assisted at Qualcomm, including Sgt. Myesha Britt, of the 40th Military Police Company. She said she was happy to be called to duty for her community.

"As a person, I like to help people," Britt said, who is from San Bernandino. "It inspired me, seeing all the people here helping."

And, just like the people they are helping, some Guardsmen in the area were also affected by the fire. Col. Eric Grimm, the 40th IBCT deputy commander, said so far more than 100 troops were directly affected.

Sgt. Franklin Purcell, also of the 18th CAV, said his wife was given a voluntary evacuation notice and his parent received a mandatory evacuation in Poway. He said when he was initially activated for the fire call-up, he became very stressed. Luckily, as the Santa Ana winds calmed Purcell received word his family was safe.

With the California National Guard activated for the fires and troops still guarding the Mexican border, Grimm said the California National Guard is still prepared to respond to any other state emergency.

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Gen. Thomas Friloux, adjutant general of Louisiana, and Command Sgt. Maj. Clifford Ockman, command senior enlisted leader of the Louisiana National Guard, join city officials, federal partners and leaders from state agencies during the annual ceremonial walk down Bourbon Street marking the official close of Carnival Season in New Orleans, Feb. 18, 2026. Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras security operations as part of Operation NOLA Safe. Photo by Capt. Peter Drasutis.
Louisiana Guard Supports Law Enforcement Partners During Mardi Gras
By Capt. Peter Drasutis, | Feb. 20, 2026
NEW ORLEANS – Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported federal, state and local law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras operations in the French Quarter, assisting with crowd management, emergency response and...

U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Matthew Wright, a cyber analyst with the 267th Intelligence Squadron, poses for a photo on Otis Air National Guard Base, Massachusetts, Feb. 18, 2026. Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration between the Department of the Air Force Artificial Intelligence Accelerator program and the private research university. Photo by Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy.
Massachusetts Guardsman Collaborates With Top AI Researchers in Prestigious Fellowship
By Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy, | Feb. 20, 2026
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Massachusetts National Guard Senior Airman Matthew Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration...

Brig. Gen. Brad Carter, Col. Lindy White and Capt. E.J. Johnson, Oklahoma Army National Guard, are joined by Oklahoma Rep. Chris Kannady, as well as representatives from Flintco Construction, Larson Design Group and Oklahoma Army National Guard Construction and Facilities Maintenance Office, during the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center in Oklahoma City, Feb. 19, 2026. The 35,000-square-foot facility is at the Oklahoma City Military Complex in Oklahoma City. Amenities within the wellness center include a fully equipped workout space for resistance training and agility, indoor and outdoor meditation spaces, a chapel, conference rooms, classroom spaces and a teaching kitchen. The facility also houses Oklahoma National Guard programs and services, including Behavioral Health; Chaplain; Equal Employment Opportunity; Family Programs; Holistic Health and Fitness; Integrated Primary Prevention; Resilience; Suicide Prevention; Substance Abuse Prevention and Risk Reduction; and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response. Photo by Staff Sgt. Anthony Jones.
Oklahoma National Guard Unveils New Wellness Center
By Leanna Maschino, | Feb. 20, 2026
OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma National Guard leadership held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Feb. 19 for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center, a nearly 35,000-square-foot facility at the Oklahoma City Military Complex."This is a...