An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | April 13, 2007

Guard, Reserve leaders speak before Senate

By Staff Sgt. Julie Weckerlein Air Force Print News

WASHINGTON - Military leaders from the National Guard and Reserve testified before members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, Subcommittee on Defense, April 11 on Capitol Hill to give a status on the forces and to bring focus on the services' budget.

Lt. Gen. Craig McKinley, Director of the Air National Guard, spoke candidly about the Airmen under his leadership and their ability to adapt for the ongoing global war on terrorism, base realignment and closure changes, the Air Force's Total Force Integration initiative and recapitalization.

"In the year I've been in this position, I've been able to visit units throughout the states," he said, "and I'm proud of the men and women who are serving."

General McKinley pointed out the Total Force success found in Burlington, Vermont with community basing. In 2005, a group of active-duty maintainers from the 20th Fighter Wing at Shaw Air Force Base, S.C., were sent to there to be trained by Airmen of the Vermont Air National Guard's 158th Fighter Wing. The idea was to provide a setting where young maintainers could learn from veteran guardsmen.

He said the insight and experience offered by the guardsmen was invaluable to the newer Airmen. Airmen with lower skill levels and experience became familiar with higher skill level work.

"It was a total success," said General McKinley. "It was a great concept and the Burlington community embraced it. It produced results and I believe community basing is the way of the future [for the total force]," he said.

He also talked about the accomplishments of the 119th Fighter Wing out of Fargo, N.D., an award-winning flying unit that was greatly affected by BRAC. He praised their ability to adapt to change, a trait found in all Airmen, he said.

"This very distinguished unit lost their F-16s, which had been there for years," he said. "But the crews there remained professional and ready to fight and have embraced the new missions [predator unmanned aerial system and the C-21 Lear Jet] and are proud of what they do."

Lt. Gen. John Bradley, Chief of Air Force Reserve, also testified about the Airmen in his command and their response to BRAC changes.

"The 2005 BRAC had a significant impact to the Air Force Reserve," he said in his written statement. "BRAC directed the realignment of seven wings and the closure of one wing, General Billy Mitchell Field, Milwaukee, Wis. To our Reserve Airman, a base realignment, in many cases, is essentially a closure. We are working closely with the Air Force and the Office of the Secretary of Defense on initiatives which encourage those impacted by BRAC decisions to continue serving their nation."

He said the readiness of his Reserve Airmen is world-class.

"We pride ourselves on our ability to respond to any global crisis within 72 hours," General Bradley said. "In many cases, including our response to natural disasters, we respond within 24 hours. We train our Selected Reserve to the same standards as the active duty for a reason: we are one Air Force in the same fight."

Both generals said that one of their goals is to support the recapitalization efforts set for the force's aging fleet and equipment, a sentiment reiterated by Army Lt. Gen. Steven Blum, Chief of the National Guard Bureau.

"While we have the very best people and the Air National Guard is fully up to strength," said General Blum, "we have this kind of experience where the equipment [these Airmen] are working on back at home station was built in 1953."

General Blum addressed the Senators with a card listing the various types of equipment and resources the Guard needs to ensure sustainability of the force, whether they are fighting the global war on terror abroad or dealing with natural disasters at home.

"No soldier or unit is going to go to war unready or unequipped," said General Blum. "It's not going to happen. But we are pushing the limit of the Guard and Reserve in regards to equipment and resources. In order to sustain the capabilities we have today, we are going to need the government's support."

 

 

Related Articles
Emergency Management personnel testing equipment, for a chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, or explosives (CBRNE) field training exercise at Goldwater Air National Guard base, Phoenix, Feb. 14, 2026. The exercise included a full day of CBRNE instruction with Airmen and Fire Services from across Arizona. Photo by Staff Sgt. Shane Sanders.
Arizona Air Guard HazMat Exercise to Strengthen Joint Capabilities
By Staff Sgt. Shane Sanders, | Feb. 17, 2026
PHOENIX, Ariz. — Emergency management Airmen and partner agencies from across Arizona gathered for the second annual Arizona Air National Guard HazMat Jamboree, hosted by the 161st Air Refueling Wing Emergency Management...

Pennsylvania National Guard Soldiers participate in an Artificial Intelligence 201 class at Fort Indiantown Gap, Pennsylvania, Feb. 11-12, 2026. The course, taught by U.S. Army War College faculty, focused on responsible AI use and practicing critical thinking skills for effective AI prompting. Photo by Sgt. Kayden Bedwell.
Pennsylvania Guard Soldiers Strengthen AI, Critical Thinking Skills
By Sgt. Kayden Bedwell, | Feb. 13, 2026
FORT INDIANTOWN GAP, Pa. — Pennsylvania National Guard Soldiers and civilian employees participated in an Artificial Intelligence 201 course Feb. 11–12. The course, taught by U.S. Army War College faculty, aimed to prepare...

Indiana National Guard Soldiers pose for a group photo in Washington, Feb. 9, 2026. About 2,600 National Guard members are supporting the D.C. Safe and Beautiful mission, providing critical support to the Metropolitan Police Department in ensuring the safety of all who live, work and visit the District.
Indiana Guard Soldiers Render Aid to Pedestrian Struck by Car
By Tech. Sgt. Melissa Sterling, | Feb. 13, 2026
WASHINGTON – Soldiers from the Indiana National Guard assigned to the D.C. Safe and Beautiful mission rushed to aid a pedestrian struck by a vehicle at the corner of 16th and V streets NW the evening of Feb. 2. Indiana Guard...