An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Feb. 6, 2023

California National Guard Helps Take on Deadly Floods

By Sgt. 1st Class Whitney Hughes, National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va. – As most of the nation eased into the first post-holiday work week of the new year, the California National Guard sprang into action to respond to devastating flooding in northern California.

On Jan. 3, directed by California Gov. Gavin Newsom, the California Guard activated the first wave of Guard members to support flood response efforts. 

At the height of the flood response mission, which lasted until Jan. 24, about 550 Guard members assisted authorities in Mono, Sacramento and Santa Barbara counties. They provided HH-60 Sikorsky and CH-47 helicopters and 32 high-water vehicles for potential rescues, clearing debris and other missions.

One of the units activated was the California Army National Guard’s 649th Engineer Company. Their initial mission was high-water rescue, but it quickly changed to employing their engineering skills, said 2nd Lt. Ken Ly, a platoon leader with the company.

“We were activated to help the Santa Barbara County, and diverted the water and helped remove debris and prevent mudslides,” said Army Lt. Col Donald Lipscomb, the commander of Task Force 185, part of the CANG’s flood response team. “[Guard members] worked nonstop since they hit the ground. I am proud of every single member of this company.”

The basin the engineers were working in is the same area where a deadly mudflow killed 23 people in 2018.

Spc. Ryley Sine, a member of the California community previously affected by flooding, said the mission took on a greater purpose.

“I have been impacted by these storms,” said Sine. “I feel prideful being able to help these communities, just knowing that they will be safer later on down the line in case it happens again.”

The Guard members diverted water and worked 24-hour operations to move more than 15,000 cubic pounds of debris in just nine days.

“Seeing my Soldiers out there operating heavy equipment, putting in maximum effort, and doing exactly what they’re trained to do, it’s really rewarding for me, and I’m sure it’s rewarding for them as well,” Ly said.

One of the Soldiers, Sgt. Jessica Andres, agreed.

“This is really what I joined the Guard for,” Andres said. “My intent was that if things got bad, I wanted to be qualified and able to go help, and that’s exactly what happened here.”
 

 

 

Related Articles
Sgt. Maj. Jose Melendez, sergeant major for the Headquarters Department of the Army Deputy Chief of Staff, G-2 (Intelligence), speaks during the Tranquil Storm 2026 awards ceremony at the Louisiana National Guard's Camp Beauregard April 30, 2026. Twenty-three Human Intelligence, or HUMINT, Collector teams from the United States, Australia and Canada competed in the fifth annual interrogation competition focused on improving HUMINT proficiency in a contingency environment. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Scott Longstreet.
Louisiana Guard Hosts Interrogation Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Scott Longstreet, | May 14, 2026
PINEVILLE, La. – Twenty-three Human Intelligence, or HUMINT, Collector teams from the United States, Australia and Canada competed in the fifth annual Tranquil Storm interrogation competition at the Louisiana National Guard’s...

Airmen from the 146th Airlift Wing, 152nd Airlift Wing and the 302nd Airlift Wing train alongside CAL FIRE ground crews during their annual Modular Airborne Firefighting System, or MAFFS, recertification training at McClellan Air Tanker Base, Sacramento, Calif., April 20, 2026. The MAFFS is a roll on and off system that enables a military C-130 aircraft to become a firefighting air tanker that can spread thousands of gallons of fire retardant, aiding ground crews to supress wildfires. The training ensures that aircrews and support personnel remain qualified to operate the MAFFS system and fly into hazardous fire areas at any time of year. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Michelle Ulber.
California Guard Conducts Training Ahead of Wildfire Season
By Tech. Sgt. Michelle Ulber, | April 22, 2026
McCLELLAN AIR TANKER STATION, SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Airmen with the 146th Airlift Wing began their annual Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System, or MAFFS, recertification and training April 20, in preparation to support aerial...

U.S. Air Force Master Sgt. Charles Rodriguez, Hap Arnold Innovation Center, California Air National Guard, tries on First-Person View goggles for small Unmanned Aerial Systems during a Defense Contract Management Agency, or DCMA, Blue List training event, March Air Reserve Base, Calif., April 14, 2026. This training informed smarter procurement and the development of scalable, cost-effective small Unmanned Aerial Systems solutions for warfighters. In alignment with Executive Order 14307 and the Secretary of War’s drone-dominance directive, DCMA is accelerating the delivery and integration of these capabilities to the force. Photo by Senior Master Sgt. Julianne Sitterding.
California Guard Innovation Center Hosts Drone Training
By Senior Master Sgt. Julianne Sitterding, | April 21, 2026
MARCH AIR RESERVE BASE, Calif. – The California National Guard’s Hap Arnold Innovation Center brought together military, federal and industry partners for a Defense Contract Management Agency Blue List small Unmanned Aircraft...