An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | May 12, 2019

New York Guard putting more troops on flood control duty

By Eric Durr New York National Guard

SODUS POINT, N.Y. – A week after deploying 130 troops to help control flooding along the Lake Ontario shoreline, the New York National Guard was preparing to bring on an additional 100 personnel by Monday.

Heavy rains throughout the Great Lakes region, combined with flooding rivers in Ontario and Quebec, have resulted in Lake Ontario water levels that are two feet higher than average, according to the International Joint Commission.

The commission regulates water levels in the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River.

The higher water levels increase the danger of flooding to buildings along with the lake and shorefront erosion.

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo activated 100 members of the New York Military Forces – which includes the New York Army and Air National Guard, along with the New York Naval Militia and New York Guard state defense force—to assist in the response.

The state response included 800,000 sandbags, 15 sandbag-making machines, hundreds of pumps and 920 feet of Aquadam—a water containment system that employs a rubberized tube filled with water – distributed in the eight counties along Lake Ontario.

On May 10, the governor announced that he was increasing the New York Military Forces commitment to 200 troops as water levels in the lake continued to rise and bad weather meant increased wave activity.

Along with more National Guard forces, the state deployed three more sandbagging machines, 500,000 more sandbags, and additional Aquadam systems – totaling 3,200 feet—to the region.

The governor urged lakefront communities to identify areas where state assets should be used.

"We're going to call up another 100 National Guard today. So we have National Guard, we have Aquadam, we have sandbags, we have pumps, we have people deployed. But we need to know where they need to be deployed before the fact," the governor said.

Local officials should take note of where flooding occurred during high water in 2017 and assume the same areas will be impacted, the governor said.

"The National Guard has been doing a great job. We have as many sandbags as you need, we have Aquadam, pumping, and we have the 2017 experience. You know where it's probably going to happen again. Please call now and tell us what you need," the governor said.

In 2017, Lake Ontario Water levels rose to record levels, and the New York National Guard mobilized 400 troops in response during the spring and early summer months.

The lake is still eight inches below that level and is not expected to rise further, according to the International Joint Commission.

As of May 10, the New York National Guard had 131 military personnel with 20 vehicles on duty.

Soldiers were assisting in sandbag operations at Sodus Point, near Rochester; Watertown, where they were filling palletizing sandbags; Clayton on the St. Lawrence River; Sacketts Harbor; and Albion.

One mission involved installing an Aquadam system and sandbagging to protect "Rudy's" a popular restaurant on the lake in Oswego, New York.

 

 

Related Articles
Crew and aircraft from the New York National Guard's 109th Airlift Wing attend the EAA Airventure Airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, July 2026. Photo by Master Sgt. Jamie Spaulding.
New York Guard Showcases Polar Airlift Mission
By Master Sgt. Jamie Spaulding, | July 28, 2026
OSHKOSH, Wis. – The New York Air Guard’s 109th Airlift Wing joined more than 10,000 aircraft and hundreds of thousands of aviation enthusiasts last week at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, the world’s largest annual gathering of...

U.S. Army Soldiers with the 252nd Engineer Company, assigned to the 130th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, assigned to Joint Task Force-Southern Border, or JTF-SB, in support of Operation Ardent Vanguard, pose for a photo in Rio Grande Valley, Texas, July 9, 2026, after assisting a driver following a single-vehicle rollover during a routine patrol. The Soldiers provided immediate assistance until local authorities arrived. U.S. Northern Command is working side-by-side with the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection within narrowly defined authorities to provide unique military capabilities to protect the territorial integrity of the U.S. southern border. Courtesy photo.
Pennsylvania Guard Soldiers Aid Motorist After Rollover Crash
By Capt. Shamari Pratt, | July 28, 2026
RIO GRANDE VALLEY, Texas – Three Pennsylvania National Guard Soldiers, 252nd Engineer Company assigned to the 130th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, Joint Task Force–Southern Border, or JTF-SB, in support of Operation Ardent...

Sgt. 1st Class Jose Morales, left, and Sgt. Stephannie LaCasse, both flight medics with the Massachusetts National Guard Detachment 1, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, General Support Aviation Battalion, use an artificial manual breathing unit on a medical simulation mannequin in the Boston MedFlight simulation training center at their Bedford, Massachusetts headquarters, July 17, 2026. The training is part of a critical care training course. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton.
Massachusetts Guard Flight Medics Strengthen Skills
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton, | July 27, 2026
BEDFORD, Mass. – Soldiers from the Massachusetts National Guard’s Detachment 1, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, General Support Aviation Battalion, recently spent two weeks training with flight paramedics...