An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | April 28, 2016

Long before smartphones, National Guard responded to nationwide muster in Operation Minuteman

By Capt. William Carraway Military historian, Georgia Army National Guard

ATLANTA - In April, 1955, the National Guard's 400,000-strong force responded within two hours to an unprecedented activation exercise. Operation Minuteman, conceived by Maj. Gen. Edgar Erickson, chief of the National Guard Bureau, successfully mobilized nearly 320,000 National Guard members within two hours in an age long before e-mail, social media and smart phones.

"Considering this was the first time that a nationwide alert has been held by a reserve component of the armed forces, the National Guard made a great showing," said Maj. Gen. George Hearn, adjutant general of the Georgia National Guard. "The people of the state and nation became instantly aware of the potent force we mobilized in such a short period of time."

The purpose of Operation Minuteman was to test the speed and efficiency with which the National Guard could be mobilized in the event of a national emergency. Additionally, the operation was intended to demonstrate to the public the efficiency and readiness of the National Guard.

At 3:30 on the afternoon of April 20, 1955, the alert notification was dispatched from Washington D.C., to the adjutants general of the 48 states and Alaska Territory. In towns across the country, local armories were flooded with National Guardsmen responding to the exercise alert. A California National Guard captain reported 70 percent of his personnel had reported within one hour of the alert. Ninety percent had reported by the second hour and all were present within three hours of the alert notice.

After assembling, the Guard members were dispatched on simulated missions. Units of the Atlanta-based 122nd Infantry Regiment established protective cordons around vital infrastructure including power stations, water works and radio stations. The 215th Medical Battalion of the Tennessee National Guard set up four hospital tents near their Memphis Armory and ambulances were dispatched to receive simulated patients.

In addition to the myriad of Army unit movements, the Air National Guard also responded in force. Georgia Air National Guardsmen of the 116th Fighter Bomber Wing launched 24 aircraft within the first hour of the alert. While he declined to give official numbers due to operations security concerns, Brig. Gen. Winston P. Wilson, Chief of the Air National Guard, noted that hundreds of aircraft participated in the exercise.

Operation Minuteman was said to represent the first time in the history of the National Guard that such a national-level alert had been executed. While the National Guard had previously conducted large-scale mobilization efforts, such as those for Mexican Border service in 1916 and for service in the world wars, those mobilizations were incremental and took place over months. By contrast, the ability of the National Guard to mobilize hundreds of thousands of Guardsmen to meet a possible Cold War threat within hours elegantly communicated a message of strength and readiness to citizens across the nation and helped cement the image of the Citizen-Soldier and -Airmen in the public consciousness.

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers attending Basic Leader Course conducted by the 166th Regiment - Regional Training Institute participate in field training during validation of the Army’s new 29-day Basic Leader Course program at Fort Indiantown Gap, Pennsylvania, May 19-20, 2026. The updated course increases tactical field training and leadership evaluations designed to prepare junior noncommissioned officers for team and squad-level leadership roles. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Shane Smith.
Pennsylvania Guard Helps Shape Army’s Extended Basic Leader Course
By Sgt. 1st Class Shane Smith, | May 22, 2026
FORT INDIANTOWN GAP, Pa. – The Pennsylvania National Guard’s 166th Regiment - Regional Training Institute, or RTI, is serving as the Army National Guard’s validation site for the Army’s new 29-day Basic Leader Course, or BLC,...

U.S. Army National Guard Soldiers with Kentucky's Bravo Battery, 1st Battalion, 623rd Field Artillery Regiment fire a rocket from a High-Mobility Artillery Tocket System at Fort Irwin, California, April 24, 2026. During the rotation, Soldiers train to operate with greater speed, precision and coordination under realistic battlefield conditions to sharpen overall combat readiness. Photo by Spc. Marissa Keith.
Kentucky Guard Enhances Lethality at Arcane Thunder
By Spc. Marissa Keith, | May 22, 2026
FORT IRWIN, Calif. – Soldiers of Kentucky National Guard’s B Battery, 1st Battalion, 623rd Field Artillery, 38th Infantry Division Artillery, conducted annual training at Fort Irwin, during a larger, multi-layer exercise...

Air National Guard Major General Gary Charlton, commander of the New York Air National Guard, left, and Command Chief Master Sergeant Michael Hewson salute while taps played during the New York National Guard headquarters Memorial Day ceremony in Latham, New York, on May 21, 2026. Photo by Stephanie Butler.
N.Y. National Guard Marks Memorial Day With Ceremony
By Eric Durr, | May 21, 2026
LATHAM, N.Y. – Soldiers, Airmen, Naval Militia members and civilians who work at the New York National Guard headquarters in Latham marked Memorial Day with a short ceremony May 21 at the building’s Fallen Soldier...