An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Dec. 21, 2011

New York Honor Guard performs record number of military funerals

By Eric Durr New York National Guard

LATHAM, N.Y. - The New York Army National Guard's Honor Guard performed more military funerals in 2011 - more than 10,500 - than in any time since it was started in 1999, and last year 10,415 were performed, said the program's director.

As of Dec. 16, the Honor Guard has performed 10,547 funerals, Roy said. He expects to do more than 10,600 funerals by New Year's Day 2012, said Don E. Roy, who has been director since 2003.

The bulk of these funerals, more than 90 percent, were for veterans of the Second World War, he said.

The 60 Soldiers who work full-time with the Honor Guard and the 70, who participate in funerals on a part-time basis, work out of nine offices located across the state from Long Island to Buffalo.

On average, the New York Honor Guard, which took first place in the last National Guard Honor Guard competition in 2010, conducts 900 funerals each month.

While the bulk of funerals have been for World War II veterans, the Honor Guard is now participating in the funerals of more and more Korean War veterans and Vietnam War veterans, Roy said.

The Honor Guard has participated in the funerals of the 32 New York Army National Guard Soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001, although there were no funerals for New York National Guard Soldiers in 2011.

However, the Honor Guard did participate in 10 repatriated remains ceremonies in 2011, Roy said. These were cases in which remains from past wars were finally identified and laid to rest.

The reason for the increase in funerals, aside from deaths in an aging population, is that more people are becoming aware that their loved one may be entitled to military honors at their funeral, Roy said.

Any veteran, with an honorable discharge, whether they served during peacetime or wartime, whether they retired or not, is entitled to military honors at their funeral, Roy said.

Since the program started in 1999, the New York Military Forces Honor Guard has participated in more than 88,000 funerals for serving service members and veterans.

"People are starting to hear about us, and we are proud to honor those who served." Roy said.

Federal law requires that at least two Honor Guard members, from the parent service of the deceased, be present to play taps, fold and present a flag to the next of kin for all former Soldiers when requested by the family or a designated representative.

For most of those funerals, the Honor Guard sends three members whenever possible. Soldiers killed in action, general officers, retired general officers, retired sergeants major and Medal of Honor holders require many more Soldiers.

The Honor Guard's primary function is to provide military honors at the funerals of Army, Army Reserve, Army Air Corps, and National Guard Veterans, Roy said. The Honor Guard will fill in when the other services cannot provide military honors if time permits, he said.

Honor Guard Soldiers go through a week-long training program before they go out into the community to represent the Army and the Army National Guard.

It's a demanding program. The key is to focus on the drill moves required and attention to detail in uniform appearance, said Army Spc. Vanessa Banks, an Honor Guard member since 2010.

"You're the last military representative of the United States Army the family gets to see," she explained. "There is a real sense of satisfaction. It makes you really proud."

New York's Military Forces Honor Guard was established as a state-financed program in 1999 by then Gov. George Pataki. Soldiers who participated in funerals were paid by state active duty dollars.

In 2000, federal law changed to mandate military honors for all former Soldiers and the federal government began funding the Honor Guard as well. Now the Honor Guard is funded entirely by the federal government, Roy said.

The Honor Guard Soldiers, both full-time and part-time, are volunteers who continue to train with their Army National Guard units and most of the members have deployed into combat zones.

The Honor Guard has been conducting more than 10,000 funerals annually since 2007.

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...