An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | June 23, 2011

Guard working to ensure safety of Minot citizens

By North Dakota National Guard Report

MINOT, N.D. - The North Dakota National Guard, alongside local officials and the Minot community, was working to ensure a safe evacuation of about 12,000 people and 4,200 homes in Minot in addition to the Souris River Valley as of Tuesday.

Sirens sounded earlier Tuesday, notifying residents in the evacuation area it was time to vacate with their final belongings to avoid the historic flood waters, spilling over the sides of levees.

“It’s a sad day for the people of this city, but one that brought the community together to ensure the safety of its citizens,” said Army Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk, North Dakota adjutant general.

“Currently we have about 500 North Dakota Guard members on duty in the Minot-Burlington area during this historic flooding event,” he said. “Right now our focus is on the safety of the Minot people. I am proud of the way our soldiers and airmen continue to assist the residents working shoulder-to-shoulder with the community and civil authorities.”

Guard members were expected to work through the evening alongside the local authorities to make sure all identified homes had been evacuated.

The North Dakota National Guard’s future operations in Minot will likely include traffic control points and presence patrols. At the same time, more than 275 Guard members are in the Bismarck and Mandan area conducting levee patrols and quick reaction forces in the event of an emergency situation.

“Whether it’s been traffic control, levee monitoring or evacuation assistance, our Guardsmen have performed well in every mission asked of them,” Sprynczynatyk said.  “Through this catastrophic event, your Guard stands ready to assist. We are able to do our jobs successfully thanks to our employers and families for being supportive when we need it the most.”

The North Dakota National Guard is highly experienced in conducting flood operations to mitigate the loss of life and property. The Guard has been serving on flood duty in North Dakota’s central region for the past 30 days. Earlier this spring, the North Dakota Guard spent 32 days on flood operations across the state, with 1,486 guardsmen contributing to the effort at some point during the mission. About 37,000 Guard man-days have been contributed to flood operation in 2011.

Since the 2001 terrorist attacks on America, the North Dakota National Guard has mobilized more than 3,500 soldiers and more than 1,800 airmen in support of the global war on terrorism. Currently, about a dozen North Dakota Guards members are serving overseas while more than 4,000 remain in the state for emergency response and national defense. For every 10,000 citizens in North Dakota, 65 serve in the North Dakota National Guard, a rate that’s more than four times the national average.

 

 

Related Articles
Air National Guard Major General Gary Charlton, commander of the New York Air National Guard, left, and Command Chief Master Sergeant Michael Hewson salute while taps played during the New York National Guard headquarters Memorial Day ceremony in Latham, New York, on May 21, 2026. Photo by Stephanie Butler.
N.Y. National Guard Marks Memorial Day With Ceremony
By Eric Durr, | May 21, 2026
LATHAM, N.Y. – Soldiers, Airmen, Naval Militia members and civilians who work at the New York National Guard headquarters in Latham marked Memorial Day with a short ceremony May 21 at the building’s Fallen Soldier...

U.S. Air National Guard Tech. Sgt. Fernanda Van Pratt, 162nd Aircrew Flight Equipment, or AFE, noncommissioned officer in charge, stitches a parachute at Morris Air National Guard Base, Arizona, May 1, 2026. During a major vertical inspection the 162nd AFE flight earned a top-tier rating, leading the inspector to share their modernized mobility deployment kits with Air National Guard units nationwide, enhancing mission adaptability across the force. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Hampton Stramler.
Arizona Guard Team Earns Awards for Combat Readiness
By Staff Sgt. Guadalupe Beltran, | May 21, 2026
MORRIS AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Ariz. — The Arizona National Guard’s 162nd Wing’s Aircrew Flight Equipment, or AFE, flight recently earned two major command-level awards: the 2025 U.S. Air Force AFE Outstanding Air Reserve...

Capt. Richard
Oregon Guard Supports Ceremony Featuring 103-Year-Old WWII Pilot
By Maj. Wayne Clyne, | May 20, 2026
SALEM, Ore. – The hangar fell quiet for nearly 30 minutes on Armed Forces Day while Capt. Richard "Dick" Nelms stood before a crowd at the B-17 Alliance Museum & Restoration Hangar at Salem McNary Airfield and described, in...