An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 18, 2011

National Guard supports Japan earthquake relief

By Army Sgt. Darron Salzer National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va. - After a devastating 9.0 magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami struck Japan, military support in response to relief efforts to the region have begun, and the National Guard is playing a supporting role.

From Kentucky, two Guardmembers have been asked to provide operational support to ongoing U.S. military relief efforts in Japan after last week's earthquake.

Air Force Col. Warren Hurst, commander, 123rd Contingency Response Group, is scheduled to deploy today to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, where he will assume the role of deputy director of mobility forces for Pacific Air Forces, according to Kentucky National Guard reports.

"I am pleased to be contributing to the relief efforts in whatever way I can," Hurst said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan."

Air Force Maj. Bruce Bancroft, who will assume the role as executive officer during the mission, will join Hurst.

"This is just another example of Kentucky Airmen and Soldiers serving in the critical enabling role to benefit those in less fortunate circumstances," said Air Force Maj. Gen. Edward Tonini, adjutant general.

"Col. Hurst served in a similar capacity during the earthquake response in Haiti. He's one of the U.S. Air Force's 'go-to' officers in these kinds of contingency operations."

More than 17,000 U.S. servicemembers are supporting relief efforts in Japan, said the Defense Department reported.

These personnel are delivering food, water and equipment, performing debris-removal operations and supplying high-pressure water pumps to cool the nuclear reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, damaged during the quake.

In Guam, members of the 94th Civil Support Team were deployed to the Guam Main Facility Post Office and Guam International Airport to screen parcels and cargo arriving from Japan, in order to identify any potential radiological contamination, National Guard officials reported.

Readings at the post office remained negative, and the mission there was closed.

Shortly after the March 11 quake, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam moved equipment, such as fighter planes, away from the coastline in anticipation of possible tsunami waves that could reach Hawaii.

The incident level at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant was raised today from level 4 to 5, prompting the U.S. government to implement a 50-mile mandatory evacuation zone for all U.S. personnel and citizens.

The State Department issued a travel warning through April 1 for all U.S. citizens, saying that travel to Japan at this time should be avoided.

They strongly request that all non-emergency official U.S. government personnel avoid travel to Japan and that U.S. citizens avoid tourism and other non-essential travel to Japan.

 

 

Related Articles
Air National Guard Major General Gary Charlton, commander of the New York Air National Guard, left, and Command Chief Master Sergeant Michael Hewson salute while taps played during the New York National Guard headquarters Memorial Day ceremony in Latham, New York, on May 21, 2026. Photo by Stephanie Butler.
N.Y. National Guard Marks Memorial Day With Ceremony
By Eric Durr, | May 21, 2026
LATHAM, N.Y. – Soldiers, Airmen, Naval Militia members and civilians who work at the New York National Guard headquarters in Latham marked Memorial Day with a short ceremony May 21 at the building’s Fallen Soldier...

U.S. Air National Guard Tech. Sgt. Fernanda Van Pratt, 162nd Aircrew Flight Equipment, or AFE, noncommissioned officer in charge, stitches a parachute at Morris Air National Guard Base, Arizona, May 1, 2026. During a major vertical inspection the 162nd AFE flight earned a top-tier rating, leading the inspector to share their modernized mobility deployment kits with Air National Guard units nationwide, enhancing mission adaptability across the force. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Hampton Stramler.
Arizona Guard Team Earns Awards for Combat Readiness
By Staff Sgt. Guadalupe Beltran, | May 21, 2026
MORRIS AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Ariz. — The Arizona National Guard’s 162nd Wing’s Aircrew Flight Equipment, or AFE, flight recently earned two major command-level awards: the 2025 U.S. Air Force AFE Outstanding Air Reserve...

Capt. Richard
Oregon Guard Supports Ceremony Featuring 103-Year-Old WWII Pilot
By Maj. Wayne Clyne, | May 20, 2026
SALEM, Ore. – The hangar fell quiet for nearly 30 minutes on Armed Forces Day while Capt. Richard "Dick" Nelms stood before a crowd at the B-17 Alliance Museum & Restoration Hangar at Salem McNary Airfield and described, in...