An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Sept. 15, 2010

Louisiana Guard completes training mission in Haiti

By Task Force Kout Men Public Affairs Office

PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti - Task Force Kout Men (Creole for helping hands) led by the Louisiana National Guard, completed its humanitarian assistance training mission as part of New Horizons – Haiti 2010 with a closing ceremony, Sept. 15. 

The ceremony was attended by Kenneth Merten, the U.S. ambassador to Haiti, Army Maj. Gen. Simeon Trombitas, commander of U.S. Army South, and Army Col. Michael Borrel of the Louisiana Guard and commander of Task Force Kout Men.

New Horizons – Haiti 2010 is a collaborative effort with the government of Haiti to operate 10 medical treatment sites and provide engineering assistance by building three new school buildings and renovating two previously destroyed school buildings in the Artibonite Department in northern Haiti.

The area has been repeatedly devastated by tropical storms and has received some of the 1.5 million people displaced by the January 12 earthquake.

“The good works performed by the men and women of New Horizons – Haiti 2010 are part of the U.S. long-term commitment to the people and government of Haiti and we will continue to work with you in confronting the issues you identify so that you can realize your vision for a better future,” said Merten to the audience of U.S. military personnel and Haitian dignitaries at the closing ceremony.

“I’m very proud of the work that our Guardsmen, Soldiers, Airmen and Sailors have accomplished here,” said Borrel. “We even had the opportunity to work together on projects with the Belize Defence Force, our State Partnership Program nation, outside of their own country.”

Borrel highlighted the accomplishments of the last four months by the Louisiana National Guard, Belize Defence Force (BDF), U.S. Navy Seabees, U.S. Army communications units, U.S. Army Reserve, U.S. Navy, and U.S Air Force medical personnel, and National Guard Soldiers from more than 10 different states and territories.

“I was amazed at how quickly all of these various units and service components were able to bond together as one team,” he said. “They were able to jump into any job on the construction sites and medical treatment sites with expertise and familiarity.” 

U.S. Southern Command asked the Louisiana National Guard to take the lead in the New Horizons mission in Haiti in response to the earthquake.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal approved the recommendation by Army Maj. Gen. Bennett C. Landreneau, the adjutant general of the Louisiana National Guard, to immediately commit to the request. Although the mission would occur during hurricane season and with 3,000 Guardsmen already deployed to Iraq, Jindal and Landreneau knew it was the right thing to do.

“The Louisiana National Guard was excited about leading the New Horizons mission to Haiti,” said Landreneau, because of the long history of New Horizons missions throughout Central America. “It was a great opportunity for the Louisiana National Guard to step up to assist the people of Haiti. Hopefully our engineering and medical efforts will have a positive and lasting impact on the lives of the Haitian people.”

Engineering projects took place in the small town of Mandrin and the city of Gonaives. Projects included: constructions of a three-room school for 350 students in Mandrin; building Lycee Louis Diaquoi, a school for girls, and K. Georges school, both  in Gonaives; and, in conjunction with the BDF, rehabilitating the Desronvilles school, which had been nearly destroyed in a fire. 

The Army engineers, plus Navy Seabees, also dug and improved water wells at six sites, made a soccer field and enclosed several schools with fences, to make students safer. Three of the engineering sites used NuForm Building Systems, which consist of hurricane-resistant concrete walls and a steel roof. 

Also, in coordination with the Haitian Ministry of Health, basic medical, dental, and optometry treatment was provided to more than 70,000 Haitian patients during the 10 Medical Readiness Exercises (MEDRETE), located throughout the Artibonite Department in the vicinity of the cities of Gonaives, Saint Marc, L’Estere, Poteau and Ennery.

During several of the MEDRETEs, veterinary care was provided to livestock.

“The hard work of the service members of Task Force Kout Men provided tangible, life sustaining help to the Haitian people,” said Trombitas. “It has also ensured a lasting legacy and foundation for our enduring partnership with Haiti.”

The Louisiana National Guard is again stepping up to take the lead for the next New Horizons-Haiti mission in 2011. The experience gained from this exercise has paved the way for continuing to develop the partnership between the Louisiana National Guard, the people and government of Haiti.

“Louisiana and Haiti have a lot in common historically and culturally. It was a good fit for us,” said Command Sergeant Major Homer Stelly, the Task Force Kout Men senior enlisted advisor. “Our Soldiers and Airmen are extremely proud of the work we’ve been able to accomplish over the past four months.”

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Gen. Thomas Friloux, adjutant general of Louisiana, and Command Sgt. Maj. Clifford Ockman, command senior enlisted leader of the Louisiana National Guard, join city officials, federal partners and leaders from state agencies during the annual ceremonial walk down Bourbon Street marking the official close of Carnival Season in New Orleans, Feb. 18, 2026. Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras security operations as part of Operation NOLA Safe. Photo by Capt. Peter Drasutis.
Louisiana Guard Supports Law Enforcement Partners During Mardi Gras
By Capt. Peter Drasutis, | Feb. 20, 2026
NEW ORLEANS – Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported federal, state and local law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras operations in the French Quarter, assisting with crowd management, emergency response and...

U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Matthew Wright, a cyber analyst with the 267th Intelligence Squadron, poses for a photo on Otis Air National Guard Base, Massachusetts, Feb. 18, 2026. Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration between the Department of the Air Force Artificial Intelligence Accelerator program and the private research university. Photo by Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy.
Massachusetts Guardsman Collaborates With Top AI Researchers in Prestigious Fellowship
By Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy, | Feb. 20, 2026
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Massachusetts National Guard Senior Airman Matthew Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration...

Brig. Gen. Brad Carter, Col. Lindy White and Capt. E.J. Johnson, Oklahoma Army National Guard, are joined by Oklahoma Rep. Chris Kannady, as well as representatives from Flintco Construction, Larson Design Group and Oklahoma Army National Guard Construction and Facilities Maintenance Office, during the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center in Oklahoma City, Feb. 19, 2026. The 35,000-square-foot facility is at the Oklahoma City Military Complex in Oklahoma City. Amenities within the wellness center include a fully equipped workout space for resistance training and agility, indoor and outdoor meditation spaces, a chapel, conference rooms, classroom spaces and a teaching kitchen. The facility also houses Oklahoma National Guard programs and services, including Behavioral Health; Chaplain; Equal Employment Opportunity; Family Programs; Holistic Health and Fitness; Integrated Primary Prevention; Resilience; Suicide Prevention; Substance Abuse Prevention and Risk Reduction; and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response. Photo by Staff Sgt. Anthony Jones.
Oklahoma National Guard Unveils New Wellness Center
By Leanna Maschino, | Feb. 20, 2026
OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma National Guard leadership held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Feb. 19 for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center, a nearly 35,000-square-foot facility at the Oklahoma City Military Complex."This is a...