An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Aug. 19, 2010

Governor, military leaders visit California border troops

By Staff Sgt. Jessica Inigo, California National Guard

SAN DIEGO - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and leaders from the California National Guard visited troops today along the border in San Diego County that they will monitor with border patrol agents for the next year.

A handful of Joint Task Force Sierra Soldiers and Airmen represented the more than 250 California Guard members, who will participate in the southwest border operation.

Air Force Brig. Gen. Mary J. Kight, the adjutant general of the California National Guard, joined the governor in recognizing the efforts citizen-Soldiers and border patrol agents were making to ensure homeland security at the Otay Mesa site.

Guard members will assist Customs and Border Protection agents to patrol 60 miles across land and 114 coastal miles, acting as additional eyes and ears to deter drug and human trafficking.

California troops are expected to be fully operational by Sept. 1. This manning is in response to President Barack Obama’s call for 1,200 servicemembers deployed across the four border states to act as reinforcement for CBP and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

One Guardsman who stood near the official party during the visit said this was his first time to meet and shake hands with these state officials.

“This was very important,” said the sergeant whose name is not being released due to security reasons. “It gives us motivation as we prepare to begin the mission.”

Schwarzenegger thanked the Guardsmen for their service and support and added that the CBP agents also told him how thankful they were for the Guard’s assistance during a tour earlier in the day.

He also said land avenues and maritime accesses will remain a concern for state leaders not only through the duration of this mission, but beyond it as well.

“It’s important to remember that this is only the beginning,” Schwarzenegger said. “Securing our border has to be the number one priority – there’s no two ways about that.”

Kight said the California Guard is proud to be at the forefront of homeland security.

“We are ready to support efforts here at the border,” she said to the governor.

The governor said he heard her loud and clear and later added that “our Soldiers and Airmen are true action heroes, who respond to disasters at home and overseas.”

He also said he was impressed that California was the first of the four border states to be mission-ready.

Just hearing their commander-in-chief and senior military officials laud them for their service was thanks enough for some troops.

“This showed that we have their 100 percent support on this mission,” said another staff sergeant. “Personally, I feel this mission is a great asset to the country, especially the state of California. I’m glad our leadership recognizes this.”

Col. William “Rudy” Arruda, who became the newly appointed Joint Task Force Sierra commander on the same day as the governor’s visit, agreed with the staff sergeant and said, “Today’s event showed solid support for the mission and solid support for the Guardsmen.”

 

 

Related Articles
Crew and aircraft from the New York National Guard's 109th Airlift Wing attend the EAA Airventure Airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, July 2026. Photo by Master Sgt. Jamie Spaulding.
New York Guard Showcases Polar Airlift Mission
By Master Sgt. Jamie Spaulding, | July 28, 2026
OSHKOSH, Wis. – The New York Air Guard’s 109th Airlift Wing joined more than 10,000 aircraft and hundreds of thousands of aviation enthusiasts last week at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, the world’s largest annual gathering of...

U.S. Army Soldiers with the 252nd Engineer Company, assigned to the 130th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, assigned to Joint Task Force-Southern Border, or JTF-SB, in support of Operation Ardent Vanguard, pose for a photo in Rio Grande Valley, Texas, July 9, 2026, after assisting a driver following a single-vehicle rollover during a routine patrol. The Soldiers provided immediate assistance until local authorities arrived. U.S. Northern Command is working side-by-side with the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection within narrowly defined authorities to provide unique military capabilities to protect the territorial integrity of the U.S. southern border. Courtesy photo.
Pennsylvania Guard Soldiers Aid Motorist After Rollover Crash
By Capt. Shamari Pratt, | July 28, 2026
RIO GRANDE VALLEY, Texas – Three Pennsylvania National Guard Soldiers, 252nd Engineer Company assigned to the 130th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, Joint Task Force–Southern Border, or JTF-SB, in support of Operation Ardent...

Sgt. 1st Class Jose Morales, left, and Sgt. Stephannie LaCasse, both flight medics with the Massachusetts National Guard Detachment 1, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, General Support Aviation Battalion, use an artificial manual breathing unit on a medical simulation mannequin in the Boston MedFlight simulation training center at their Bedford, Massachusetts headquarters, July 17, 2026. The training is part of a critical care training course. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton.
Massachusetts Guard Flight Medics Strengthen Skills
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton, | July 27, 2026
BEDFORD, Mass. – Soldiers from the Massachusetts National Guard’s Detachment 1, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, General Support Aviation Battalion, recently spent two weeks training with flight paramedics...