An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | May 18, 2010

Recalled helmets no 'direct risk' to Soldiers

By Army Master Sgt. Doug Sample Army News Service

WASHINGTON, - The Army recall of 44,000 Advanced Combat Helmets that were issued to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan is the result of a Department of Justice investigation as well as independent tests that show the helmets do not meet Army standards, military officials said today.

Army officials say the recalled helmets are not a "direct risk" to soldiers.

Army Brig. Gen. Peter Fuller told reporters today that while the helmets failed to meet Army standards, there is no evidence that any soldier was ever harmed from their use. The recalled helmets provided a safe degree of protection, Fuller said, but they were "just not up to our standards." The Army, he said, is withdrawing the helmets from the field.

Fuller heads up Program Executive Office-Soldier, a Fort Belvoir, Va.,-based organization that oversees the development and testing of Army equipment.

The recall involves about 4 percent of about 1.6 million Advanced Combat Helmets that are in the Army's inventory, PEO-Soldier officials said.

Fuller said the Army issued a May 13 directive to combatant commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan calling for the immediate turn-in of helmets manufactured by ArmorSource, the contractor.

The recall, Fuller explained, is the result of a Department of Justice investigation, and individual tests conducted at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., which proved the helmet did not meet Army standards. The general said he could not elaborate on the DOJ findings because of the ongoing investigation.

"Our number-one mission is to ensure every soldier's lethal survivability equipment can survive in any environment, and a helmet is a personal piece of equipment that provides that survivability," Fuller said. "We want to make sure they never have any question as to whether or not this will be able to stop what it needs to stop."

Fuller said the Army began the recall process immediately upon notification of the DOJ investigation and after the results of independent testing revealed flaws in the ballistic capability of the helmet. In January, the Army was notified by the DOJ of the investigation after the paint on some helmets began peeling. The helmets were then subjected to further tests by the Army, which determined the ballistic defect.

The recall notice was issued as a precautionary measure, Fuller said.

So far, none of the recalled helmets have been found at the Bagram Airfield Central Issue Facility, the main supply hub for troops deployed in Afghanistan, PEO-Soldier officials said.

Mike Brown, the director of supply for Army logistics, said helmet inspections are currently underway in Iraq and Afghanistan. Recalled helmets are being turned in, he said.

Army Command Sgt. Maj. Bernard C. McPherson, the PEO-Soldier senior enlisted advisor, said the Army is working at every level to ensure all affected helmets are accounted for.

"Helmets in the field will be detected during pre-combat checks and inspections by sergeants and [other] leaders," McPherson said.

Army Col. William Cole, the project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment, said ArmorSource had manufactured roughly 102,000 of the Advanced Combat Helmets. Of that number, he said, 55,000 helmets remain in the warehouse supply system, with about 3,000 having been issued to other services through the Defense Supply Center, Philadelphia.

The Army is committed to finding and obtaining all of the defective helmets, Cole said. "That's why we are doing this through diligence, right now, to find them," he said.

The Army has three other helmet manufacturers. They are: MSA North America, BAE Systems, and Gentex Corp.

 

 

Related Articles
Members of the Colorado Army National Guard’s 220th Military Police Company support the Pueblo County Sheriff’s office, managing traffic control points for road closures and evacuated areas near the Aspen Acres Fire, Pueblo, Colorado, July 9, 2026. More than 80 service members were activated after Colorado Gov. Jared Polis declared a state of emergency and authorized the Colorado National Guard to mobilize in support of the fire response. At the time, the Aspen Acres Fire was the largest wildfire in the state, having burnt more than 100,000 acres. Photo by Staff Sgt. Josiah Pugh.
Colorado Guard Assists With Aspen Acres Fire
By Staff Sgt. Josiah Pugh, | Aug. 13, 2026
PUEBLO, Colo. – Destructive wildfires threatened Colorado communities during the summer of 2026, resulting in the activation of the Colorado Army National Guard to provide critical, targeted support on the ground.Following an...

U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Tessah Satterfield, an Arkansas National Guard 188th Intelligence Support Squadron aviation resource manager, recently deployed to Germany for a temporary duty, or TDY, assignment to provide support to the 693rd Wing at Ramstein Air Base. Because of the 693rd’s continuous rotation of personnel, this TDY proved beneficial to both the 188th and the 693rd by providing an opportunity to share expertise in a practical and classroom setting, assist in hands-on fiber architecture and maintenance operations and bolster mission readiness by providing critical deployment experience for the 188th and enhancing the skillset of both groups. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Patricia Teare.
Arkansas Guard Airmen Strengthen Readiness With Integration Training
By Tech. Sgt. Patricia Teare, | Aug. 12, 2026
EBBING AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Ark. – Seventeen Airmen from the Arkansas National Guard’s 188th Intelligence Support Squadron, or ISS, recently returned from their annual training at Ramstein Air Base, Germany, conducting...

U.S. Army Col. Michael Scanlon, deputy chief of staff for operations, Oklahoma Army National Guard salutes the formation during the opening ceremony for Exercise Pahlawan Warrior 26 at Tutong Camp near Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei, Aug. 11, 2026. Pahlawan Warrior is a bilateral exercise held biennially between U.S. Army Pacific and the Royal Brunei Armed Forces designed to enhance readiness, interoperability and the enduring partnership between the two nations in support of a free and open Indo-Pacific. Photo by Sgt. Danielle Rayon.
Oklahoma Guard, Royal Brunei Open Exercise Pahlawan Warrior 26
By Sgt. Danielle Rayon, | Aug. 12, 2026
TUTONG CAMP, Brunei – Oklahoma National Guard and Royal Brunei Land Force Soldiers marched together to the beat of drums during the Aug. 11 opening ceremony of Exercise Pahlawan Warrior 26, marking the start of the bilateral...