An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | May 14, 2010

Joint Task Force Haiti prepares for 'New Horizon'

By Christen N. McCluney Emerging Media, Defense Media Activity

WASHINGTON, - Joint Task Force Haiti is preparing to stand down its disaster-relief mission in Haiti at the beginning of June, nearly six months after a Jan. 12 earthquake devastated the country.

"We will stand down the joint task force on the first of June," Army Maj. Gen. Simeon G. Trombitas, the task force's commanding general, said during a "DoD Live" bloggers roundtable yesterday. "That is when I will take the last elements of United States Army South home and send those sister-services personnel back to their home stations."

More than 22,000 U.S. servicemembers were in Haiti at the height of the mission. Of those, about 14,000 were in ships at sea, while 8,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen were on the ground at any given time during the height of operations, Trombitas said.

The mission remains to save lives and alleviate suffering while transitioning into mitigating the ill effects of weather, the general said.

Currently, there are about 850 servicemembers on the ground in Haiti. Once the joint task force stands down, eight people will stay in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince to work with a traditional military liaison office.

Their job will be to coordinate humanitarian missions with the U.S. Agency for International Development -- the lead U.S. federal agency in the effort -- and the Haitian government during an already-scheduled theater security cooperation exercise called "New Horizons."

The exercise will bring in about 500 soldiers, mainly from the Louisiana National Guard -- along with soldiers from the Arizona, Montana, Nevada, Puerto Rican and Virgin Island National Guards -- to conduct engineering activities and medical readiness training exercises around Gonaives, which is north of Port-au-Prince.

The group will work on engineering projects that include rebuilding three schools and building a fourth. They also will receive training to become culturally aware of the activities in the country while bringing medical help to people in need.

When asked to measure the success of Joint Task Force Haiti so far, Trombitas said he doesn't believe that success can be measured in numbers.

"Our first success was the incredible flexibility of our military," he said. Success is measured, he added, in how the Haitian people see the U.S. effort.

"Our success is measured and will be continued to be measured in those things that we have done here and how the Haitian people remember us," the general said.

 

 

Related Articles
Six National Guard Ranger-qualified Soldiers will compete for the title of ‘Best Ranger’ at the 42nd annual Lt. Gen. David E. Grange Jr. Best Ranger Competition, April 10-12, at Fort Benning, Georgia. The National Guard is represented by three two-man teams: U.S. Army 1st Lt. Zachary Thompson and Sgt. 1st Class Robert Flora; Capt. Erik Gorman and Capt. Christian Thompson; and 1st Lt. Talan Saylor and Cpl. Brendan Fox. Photos by Patrick Albright.
National Guard Soldiers to Compete in Best Ranger Competition
By Capt. James Mason and Sgt. 1st Class Amber Peck, | April 10, 2026
FORT BENNING, Ga. – Six of the National Guard’s most lethal Ranger-qualified Soldiers will compete for the coveted title of ‘Best Ranger’ at the 42nd annual Lt. Gen. David E. Grange Jr. Best Ranger Competition, April 10-12,...

Members of the 3665th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company, or EOD, stand in a formation during their demobilization ceremony at the Speedway Armory in Las Vegas, Nevada, April 7, 2026. During a nine-month deployment to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility, the 3665th EOD supported U.S. Army Central assets, conducted response missions and trained partner forces across multiple countries. Photo by Sgt. Adrianne Lopez.
Nevada Guard Unit Holds Demobilization Ceremony After Deployment
By Sgt. Adrianne Lopez, | April 10, 2026
LAS VEGAS – The Nevada Army National Guard’s 3665th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company, or EOD, held a demobilization ceremony at the Speedway Armory April 7 following a nine-month deployment to the U.S. Central Command area...

Maj. Nathan Sosebee, the 188th Security Forces Squadron commander, briefs Gen. Steven Nordhaus, the chief of the National Guard Bureau, and the Senior Enlisted Advisor John T. Raines as they toured key facilities and received mission briefings at Ebbing Air National Guard Base, Arkansas, on April 9, 2026. Photo by Maj. Jennifer Gerhardt.
Chief of National Guard Bureau Visits Ebbing Air Guard Base
By Master Sgt. Jessica Wilson, | April 10, 2026
EBBING AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Ark. — Gen. Steven S. Nordhaus, chief of the National Guard Bureau, visited Ebbing Air National Guard Base April 9 to gain a deeper understanding of the installation’s diverse mission set and...