An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Jan. 27, 2015

New York begins drawing down blizzard Airmen and Soldiers

By Eric Durr New York National Guard

NEW YORK - With less snowfall than expected from the three-day snow event dubbed Winter Storm Juno by the Weather Channel, the New York National Guard began releasing some of the approximately 400 Soldiers and Airmen who had been mobilized from duty Tuesday afternoon.

Soldiers and Airmen who had been providing mobility support to the New York City Fire Department and New York State Police in the Hudson Valley were being stood down as those missions completed. New York National Guard leaders expected that only about 150 Soldiers would remain “on mission” at the end of the day.

On Long Island, though, heavy snowfall kept Airmen of the 106th Rescue Wing busy providing Humvee support to police agencies in Suffolk County.

Engineer Soldiers assigned to the 204th Engineer Brigade, who moved into the region from armories in Binghamton, Kingston, Horseheads and Buffalo, remained on call at the Farmingdale Armed Forces Reserve Center, with front end loaders , dump truck, and small skid-steer loaders to assist in snow removal.

“The focus now is to begin getting everybody home safely,” said Air National Guard Col. Steve Fukino, the Director of Domestic Operations for the New York National Guard.

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo called out the National Guard troops on Monday, Jan. 26, as part of a coordinated New York State response to a blizzard expected to hit the Northeast.

Weather forecasters had been predicting record high levels of snow for New York City and the Hudson Valley.

The governor declared a state of emergency on Monday, Jan. 26 and banned travel on major roadways Monday night. The New York City and regional transit systems were also shut down.

States of emergency were also declared in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island as of this morning.

This morning, conditions in New York City and Hudson Valley were better than expected, Cuomo said during a morning news conference. The travel bans put in place Monday night were lifted in much of the region.

However, snow conditions on eastern Long Island were considerably heavier, and people should still avoid unnecessary travel, the governor cautioned.

In New York City, 50 National Guard Soldiers positioned 25 Humvees at fire stations across the five boroughs of the city in order to support emergency medical technicians. The National Guard Soldiers are there to drive EMTs to locations on roads which may become impassable due to high snow accumulations.

Six high-axle trucks were also available to the New York City Fire Department to move patients for short distances on snow-clogged side streets if ambulances could not get down the streets.

On Long Island and in the Hudson Valley, New York National Guard Soldiers and Airmen were on hand to provide mobility for New York State Troopers if necessary.

Engineer equipment was moved into the region from 204th Engineer Battalion units in Kingston, Binghamton, Horseheads, and Buffalo. Soldiers from the 152nd Engineer Company in Buffalo, who were the first National Guard responders when Erie County was pounded with seven-foot lake effect snows in November, 2014, were dispatched to the Hudson Valley to assist downstate New Yorkers.

National Guard tractor trailers were on hand on Long Island to assist in moving state emergency supplies if requested.

A total of 97 pieces of equipment, to include 75 high-axle trucks and Humvees were dedicated to the National Guard response mission. Twelve dump trucks, four front-end loaders, and seven small skid-steer loaders were also assigned to provide support if necessary.

At F.S. Gabreski Air National Guard Base in Westhampton, para-rescue Airmen assigned to the New York Air National Guard’s 106th Rescue Wing prepared snowmobiles for use if necessary.

Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and Air National Guard HH-60 Pave Hawk rescue helicopters were also ready to be used for missions if required.

Guard members in other affected states were prepared to assist as needed. About 1300 Soldiers and Airmen were on duty in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Maine and Rhode Island, according to figures from the National Guard Bureau.

 

 

Related Articles
A Soldier competing in the Region V Best Warrior Competition rappels from a training tower at Camp Beauregard in Pineville, Louisiana, May 4, 2026. The four-day competition tested Soldiers and noncommissioned officers from Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas in a series of physically and mentally demanding events designed to evaluate military proficiency, leadership and readiness. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Scott Longstreet.
Louisiana Guard Hosts Region V Best Warrior Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Scott Longstreet, | May 15, 2026
PINEVILLE, La. – Twelve Soldiers and noncommissioned officers representing Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas competed May 4-8 in the Region V Best Warrior Competition at the Louisiana National Guard...

A Swedish Armed Forces service member, left, speaks with a New York Army National Guard Soldier with Troop C, 2nd Squadron, 101st Cavalry Regiment, during exercise Northern Lights 26, April 28, 2026, in Habo-Tibble, Sweden. Northern Lights 26, also known as Aurora 26 in Sweden, is a multinational exercise involving 18,000 soldiers from 13 countries aimed at strengthening defense capabilities and enhancing interoperability with international allies. Photo by Master Sgt. Warren W. Wright Jr.
New York Guard, Sweden Strengthen Partnership at Exercise Northern Lights
By Master Sgt. Warren Wright, | May 15, 2026
KUNGSÄNGEN, Sweden – Eighty New York Army National Guard Soldiers spent their annual training working alongside Swedish soldiers in Sweden's sprawling forests.Instead of spending their two weeks of annual training at Fort...

Illicit drugs and weapons sit on display after seizure by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Butts County Sheriff’s Office in March 2026. The Georgia National Guard Counterdrug Task Force, which supports state, local and federal law enforcement agencies in the detection, interdiction and disruption of drug trafficking and transnational criminal organizations, played a crucial behind the scenes role in the investigation. Portions of this photo have been altered for security purposes. Courtesy photo.
Georgia National Guard Counterdrug Task Force Assists Investigation That Seized 13-Plus Kilograms of Illegal Drugs
By Sgt. 1st Class Jon Soucy, | May 15, 2026
ARLINGTON, Va. – Members of the Georgia National Guard’s Counterdrug Task Force assisted the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and other state and local law enforcement agencies in an investigation resulting in seizure of more...