An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 24, 2010

Gates, Mullen extend military support to Mexico

By Army Sgt. 1st Class Michael J. Carden American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, - Top U.S. defense officials met with their Mexican counterparts in Mexico City today to strengthen the U.S.-Mexico military partnership in the fight against drug cartels there.

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Navy Adm. Mike Mullen are in Mexico today as part of a U.S. delegation led by Secretary of State Hilary Clinton. U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano and Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair also are part of the delegation.

The high-level talks are part of the Merida initiative, a partnership promised by President Barack Obama last year to help the region combat drug trafficking and related violence by the cartels. The three-year program provides $1.6 billion to fund drug-fighting initiatives.

The talks demonstrate the level of commitment the United States has in aiding Mexico in its struggle against the cartels and to impede the drug trade from crossing the border into the United States, Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell told reporters at a news conference here today.

"Sending a delegation of this stature to Mexico is a clear indication of the critical importance both we and the Mexican government ... place on law enforcement cooperation, strengthening Mexican institutions and other cooperative efforts to support the government of Mexico's campaign against organized crimes," Morrell said.

Gates and Mullen met with Mexico's Defense Secretary Guillermo Galvan Galvan and Navy Secretary Mariano Francisco Saynez Mendoza to discuss military-to-military coordination and to develop a comprehensive approach to counternarcotics operations and planning.

The meetings focused on bilateral information sharing, joint defense cooperation and the need for transparency and accountability on human rights. Currently, the Pentagon provides intelligence and surveillance support, communications equipment and mobility assets, Morrell said.

The talks come at a time when the Mexican government has suffered heavy losses in its war on drugs. Since 2006, some 18,000 people, including security personnel, have lost their lives to drug-related violence.

"The government of Mexico has taken strong actions to address these security threats," Morrell said. "They are making some progress, but have paid high prices for their brave stand. Those sacrifices have only made our two nations more determined to work together to combat these criminal groups."

Funds allocated to Mexico under the Merida initiative are due to expire in 2011. The remaining funds will go to other countries in Central America.

Gates and Mullen are set to return to Washington, D.C., tonight.

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...