An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 11, 2010

Employment program to resume for enrolled spouses

By Elaine Wilson American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, - The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program, commonly known as MyCAA, will resume March 13 for the more than 136,000 spouses who already have established an account, the defense official who heads up the program announced today.

Officials announced a temporary halt in the program Feb. 18, pending a top-to-bottom review, after a six-fold spike in enrollments in January, a surge that overwhelmed the system and caused the program to nearly reach its budget threshold.

"We made a commitment to our military spouses when they established a career advancement account, and we will be true to our promises," said Tommy T. Thomas, deputy undersecretary of defense for the Pentagon's office of military community and family policy.

The Defense Department will resume the program for the 136,583 military spouses currently in the program at noon EDT March 13, Thomas said.

"We sincerely apologize to our military spouses for the added burden caused by the pause in operation," he added.

While the program will resume for enrolled spouses, new MyCAA accounts or financial assistance applications will not be accepted yet, Thomas said, noting that the comprehensive review of the program still is under way.

"We are working hard to adjust the program to meet the demands of the MyCAA program and to arrive at a long-term solution for military spouses who would like to establish an account," he said. "Until that time, we encourage spouses to consult with the MyCAA career counselors who can provide career exploration, assessment, employment readiness and career search assistance."

The top-to-bottom review includes procedures, financial assistance documents and the overall program, which is intended to provide military spouses with opportunities to pursue portable careers in high-demand, high-growth occupations.

The program has been growing in popularity since its inception March 2, 2009. Enrollments had been increasing at a rate of about 10,000 a month, and in January, the number spiked to 70,000.

"We had very little time to react to that," Thomas said. "I make no excuses for that. We should have done a better job of notifying our military spouses." Thomas said he will work hard to restore the confidence lost when the program was halted.

"We certainly know we have lost some confidence, and we want to rebuild that confidence," he said. "We will restore that faith hopefully by one, restoring the program, and two, having appropriate resources to ensure everyone that applies for the program receives the appropriate financial assistance.

"We appreciate what [spouses] do, and we hope that through this, that once we get this program back on track, that we don't lose any ... spouses," he continued. "We value and treasure everything you do each and every day, not only for the Department of Defense, but for this nation."

Thomas said he will ensure the lines of communication stay open in the days ahead. An e-mail has been sent to all program participants, informing them of the program's resumption, and spouses will see the announcement letter when they log on to their MyCAA accounts. A "media blitz" of information will precede any announcement that applies to all military spouses, he vowed.

"We don't want to make the mistake we made in the beginning, and that is not notifying you what's going on," Thomas said. "We want to make absolutely sure that you understand that we're working in your best interest."

In the meantime, Thomas urged spouses to be wary of questionable Web sites enticing them with employment opportunities.

"Stay the course with us and allow us to work this to finality by restoring the program," he said. "We will make every effort possible to ensure we educate you and get the necessary funds to continue this program."

Along with MyCAA counselors, spouses also can request free career counseling through Military OneSource at 1-800-342-9647 or athttp://militaryonesource.com.

 

 

Related Articles
Staff Sgt. Randy Scales, readiness noncommissioned officer, assigned to C Company, 1st Battalion, 189th General Support Aviation Battalion, Montana Army National Guard, rides with a litter during VITA Rescue System training at Fort Harrison, Montana, July 29, 2026. The training certified instructor personnel on the new hoist rescue capability before the instructor personnel train additional aircrew members across the unit. Photo by Senior Master Sgt. Devin Doskey.
Montana Guard Improves Rescue Ability With New Hoist System
By Senior Master Sgt. Devin Doskey, | July 30, 2026
HELENA, Mont. – Montana National Guard Soldiers recently completed instructor certification on a new hoist rescue capability that enhances stability during helicopter rescue operations and improves patient recovery in...

U.S. Air Force Airmen assigned to the 201st Rapid Engineer Deployable Heavy Operational Repair Squadron Engineers, Pennsylvania Air National Guard, install reinforcement plates on roof trusses at Redwood National and State Parks near Orick, California, July 14, 2026. The steel plates strengthened key joints in the roof framing before the structure was enclosed. Photo by Airman 1st Class Austin Stern.
Pennsylvania Guardsmen Strengthen Engineering Skills, Preserve Redwoods
By Airman 1st Class Austin Stern, | July 30, 2026
ORICK, Calif. – Pennsylvania Air National Guardsmen partnered with the National Park Service through the Department of War’s Innovative Readiness Training program this summer to complete construction projects throughout...

Staff Sgt. Kevin Propes, Survey Team Member, 10th Civil Support Team, Washington National Guard, talks with representatives from Anduril Industries during a new technology fielding of an advanced counter-unmanned aircraft systems. Courtest photo.
Washington Guard Advances Counter-Drone Capabilities
By Joseph Siemandel, | July 30, 2026
CAMP MURRAY, Wash. – With unmanned aircraft systems continuing to evolve as a threat to military installations, critical infrastructure and public events, the Washington National Guard has taken a significant step forward in...