An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Jan. 12, 2010

Army Guard grows while modernizing medevac fleet

By Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va. - The Army announced last week that nine additional medevac companies would be added to the reserve component.

Army Lt. Gen. James D. Thurman, the G-3/5/7, told an audience at the annual Association of the U.S. Army Aviation Symposium and Exhibition here that no force-wide transformational change to the aviation force was more important or consequential than this decision.

"The Army will aggressively grow this strategic capability in order to improve air medical evacuation in combat," he said. "The priority will be Afghanistan with the first transformed, 15-ship company arriving late spring 2010."

Of these nine additional medevac companies, six will come to the Army National Guard.

Col. Garrett Jensen, the chief of the Army Guard's aviation and safety division, said four current companies would be modernized with UH-60 Black Hawks replacing the recently retired UH-1 Hueys.

"This is a very positive event for the Guard," he said. "I think we have lived up to our commitment to HQDA to perform .… . It also shows Big Army's confidence in us to perform and do the mission."

These aircraft will be dispersed between five states with each state getting three- or six-ship detachments, he said. The two new units would go to Mississippi and Texas.

Jensen added that the new aircraft have already started to arrive in some of the states.

"They will provide additional medevac capability across the states," he said. "It is a dual-use capability. It adds value to both the state governor and the adjutants general in homeland defense and allows us to make a greater contribution in overseas contingency operations."

About 65 percent of the Army's medevac capability currently resides in the Army Guard. Of 37 total Army medevac companies, the Army Guard has 21.

"It's a two-edge sword," Jensen said. "If [the Army] provides us with the capability and relies on us that heavily, we have to man, train and sustain as we have been doing."

Currently, the Army Guard has two medevac companies deployed to Afghanistan and one deployed to Iraq.

In April 2009, the Secretary of the Army announced that all 12-ship companies would be increased to 15 aircraft across the Army between FY2011-17.

For the Army Guard, with a total of 21 companies, that would equal 63 additional aircraft.

Jensen said priority would be given to units deploying in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. "Units coming up in the ARFORGEN (Army Force Generation) would be 'plus-ed up' with three-ship detachments," he said.

Other medevac units in the Guard are scheduled to receive the brand new HH-60M Medevac helicopter.
The first unit equipped with these helicopters, which is based in Vermont and Massachusetts, will deploy to Afghanistan later this year.

"It will be the first modern medevac company in theatre," Jensen said.

The UH-60M Black Hawk, which is another brand new aircraft headed for the Guard, will be deployed by an assault battalion based in Wisconsin and Michigan this year.

Jensen said the Guard will also continue to get more UH-72A Lakota helicopters. Fifty out of 210 of these aircraft have been fielded so far. The fielding is scheduled to be complete by 2015.

The Alabama Guard received its first Lakota this past weekend. The state plans to use this light utility helicopter to support military and civilian authorities, including local law enforcement agencies, through the Alabama Guard's counterdrug program.

Training for both active duty and Guard pilots of this helicopter is also being conducted by the Guard at the Eastern Aviation Training Site at Fort Indiantown Gap, Pa.

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...