An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Jan. 5, 2010

KFOR drawing down to 10,000 troops

By Sgt. 1st Class Michael Hagburg North Dakota National Guard

CAMP BONDSTEEL, Kosovo - The Kosovo Force will transition from about 14,000 to 10,000 NATO forces by Jan. 31, due to improvements in security, said the commander of Multi-National Task Force-East.

Brig. Gen. Al Dohrmann told media in Kosovo last week that improvements in security have prompted the Kosovo Force to move its posture to a "deterrent presence."

"KFOR will rely more heavily on reserve forces that are able to quickly and decisively respond whenever and wherever necessary in support of local structures as a third responder," Dohrmann said.

Dohrmann, a member of the North Dakota National Guard, assumed command of MNTF-East Nov. 14. He commands about 2,200 Soldiers, including the Greek troops of Task Force Hellas and Polish/Ukrainian troops of Task Force POL/UKR; along with North Dakota's 141st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade. KFOR is commanded by German Lt. Gen. Markus Bentler and is currently in its 12th rotation of forces.

"You may notice fewer KFOR patrols, but that is directly related to the abilities of the Kosovo Police," Dohrmann said. "Any adjustments made will not decrease KFOR's operational capability."

Dohrmann was asked whether the move to a deterrent presence would affect security in Kosovo. He responded by stating that while there still are challenges ahead in Kosovo, progress continues every day.

"It's teamwork between EULEX (European Rule of Law in Kosovo) and the KP, with KFOR, as a third responder, that makes success possible." Dohrmann said, "As we move forward to 2010, MNTF-E will continue to work with the institutions to maintain a safe and secure environment in Kosovo."

Dohrmann spoke with media in Gjilan/Gnjilane and Ferizaj/Urosevac during informal press events, called "press coffees," Dec. 29 and 30. He said it was a pleasure to sit down with the local media from both cities, two of the largest in the MNTF-East sector, to discuss important issues.

In his opening statement, Dohrmann said that conditions in Kosovo had improved greatly since 2005, when he was in Kosovo as member of KFOR. He pointed out that there had been no major security incidents in Kosovo in 2009 and that both NATO and the North Atlantic Council have noted the "positive evolution" of the security situation.

"Transparency, cooperation, communication and respect for one another are the keys to the success of our mission," said Dohrmann. "It is evident that there has been a steady improvement in the security situation in Kosovo, due, in large part, to the increased capability of the institutions in Kosovo."

Dohrmann said his forces in MNTF-E will continue to pay special attention to illegal trafficking of arms, ammunition and explosives per the mandates of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 and the Military Technical Agreement.

The media also asked about KFOR's role in economic development and civil projects in Kosovo, and specifically, how that might change with fewer forces on the ground.

"As we move to deterrent presence, the way we do civil affairs projects is going to change," Dohrmann said. "Our focus will be on connecting donor organizations with Kosovo communities. My expectation is to that we will work to put a system in place that will last long after KFOR.

"Kosovo is headed toward a brighter future and that is something we can all be extremely proud of."

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Col. Arthur S. Moore, commander, 116th Mobile Brigade Combat Team, discusses the Army National Guard’s modernization efforts during the Army Current Operations Engagement Tour at the Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., July 22, 2026. The 116th Mobile Brigade Combat Team is advancing Army National Guard modernization by applying lessons learned as the first National Guard brigade to complete a Joint Readiness Training Center rotation under the Army’s new Mobile Brigade Combat Team construct. Photo by Sgt. Tien Dat Ngo.
Virginia National Guard Unit at the Forefront of Army Transformation
By Sgt. Tien-Dat Ngo, | July 31, 2026
WASHINGTON – The Virginia National Guard’s 116th Mobile Brigade Combat Team, or MBCT, discussed the Army National Guard’s modernization efforts during the Army Current Operations Engagement Tour, highlighting lessons learned...

U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer 5 Donald Ford, right, and Capt. Richard Duval pilot a CH-47 Chinook helicopter toward the Hagen Fire in Umatilla County, Oregon, July 29, 2026, during water bucket operations in support of Oregon's wildfire response. Photo by Maj. Wayne Clyne.
Oregon Guard Aircrews Support Wildfire Response
By Maj. Wayne Clyne, | July 31, 2026
PENDLETON, Ore. – Two Oregon Army National Guard CH-47 Chinook helicopters and two HH-60M Black Hawk helicopters began water bucket operations July 29 in support of wildland firefighting efforts on the Hagen Fire in Umatilla...

U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Brianna D. St. Lawrence-Brody, a command post controller assigned to the 120th Airlift Wing, Montana Air National Guard, poses for an official portrait. St. Lawrence-Brody was selected as one of the U.S. Air Force's 2026 Total Force Outstanding Airmen of the Year, becoming the only Air National Guard Airman selected for the honor during the program's first year of Total Force competition. Photo by Senior Master Sgt. Devin Doskey.
Montana Guard Airman Selected as 2026 Total Force Outstanding Airman of the Year
By Senior Master Sgt. Devin Doskey, | July 31, 2026
GREAT FALLS, Mont. – Staff Sgt. Brianna D. St. Lawrence-Brody, a command post controller assigned to the 120th Airlift Wing, Montana Air National Guard, has been selected as one of the U.S. Air Force’s 2026 Total Force...