An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 21, 2012

South Dakota National Guard reflects back on its Iraq War involvement

By Staff Sgt. Theanne Tangen South Dakota National Guard

PIERRE, S.D. - On March 19, 2003, President George W. Bush addressed the nation with words that would ultimately impact the lives of many Soldiers and Airmen within the South Dakota National Guard.

"My fellow citizens, at this hour, American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger," Bush said.

Since that address to the nation, 20 communities and more than 3,360 Citizen-Soldiers and -Airmen throughout South Dakota have experienced a unit mobilization in support of either Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation New Dawn.

The U.S. military and coalition forces have now withdrawn from Iraq, however, some units who have deployed to Iraq within the last year still remain in the Middle East, occupying a presence in Kuwait.

Two of those units include the South Dakota Army National Guard's Company C, 1st Battalion, 189th Aviation Regiment and the 139th Brigade Support Battalion, both of which moved to Kuwait from Iraq during the withdrawal process and now are conducting follow-on missions of retrograde operations, including the transfer of personnel and equipment from the Iraq theater back to the Unites States.

"It's a good feeling for us to be finally out of Iraq," said Army Maj. Gen. Tim Reisch, adjutant general of the South Dakota National Guard. "This war has gone on a long time."

The Iraq war is the second longest war in American history. It's also said to have changed the National Guard from a strategic reserve to an operational force.

"We went from an ‘on the bench' component during the Vietnam and Cold War eras, to one that has served in combat zones continually for the past decade," Reisch said. "There are few, if any instances during our 150-year history that the South Dakota National Guard has been relied upon to the extent that it has been during the period since 9/11."

Virtually every unit deployed from the South Dakota National Guard has received the meritorious unit commendation award, Reisch said.

The award is given to units for exceptionally meritorious conduct in performance of outstanding services for at least six continuous months during the period of military operations against an armed enemy.

"Our Soldiers and Airmen are of truly the highest caliber," Reisch said. "The tremendous legacy of the South Dakota National Guard has been elevated even higher during this period of time."

While more than 3,360 Soldier and Airmen and their family members made significant sacrifices in the Iraq War, seven South Dakota Soldiers made the ultimate sacrifice and lost their lives while serving in Iraq.

"We have had enormous sacrifices from our South Dakota National Guard Soldiers," said Army Lt. Col. Lynn Wilson, full-time support chaplain for the South Dakota National Guard. "I have gone to homes as a casualty notification officer and have gone to families to bring the news that their loved one, their son, their Soldier, is now dead, and that news is absolutely devastating. So is the cost of war; it is always severe, it's always great."

Wilson deployed to Iraq in 2004 with 2nd Battalion, 147th Field Artillery as a chaplain, where he not only experienced the devastation and cost of war but also witnessed the positive effects.

"I think of the accomplishments as well as the loss, and the losses are terrible and severe," Wilson said. "I don't think you ever get over it. It is still a scar and it is deep, but then there are the accomplishments that we gave to a country."

Wilson recalls a moment when he felt that the war in Iraq was worth it.

"I went to Babylon to one of Saddam Hussein's palaces, one that his sons used to love to operate out of," Wilson said. "They would take teenage girls and rape them, murder them and toss their bodies down the Euphrates River. We stopped that…that didn't go on after we were there."

During Wilson's time overseas, he also witnessed a defying moment in Iraq's history. For the first time they had more than one option on their election ballot.

"In January of 2005, about a month before we returned home, for the first time people had the freedom to vote and there is not just one name on the ballot: Saddam Hussein," Wilson said.

"The people of Iraq held up their ink-stained purple fingers and some of us Soldiers looked at each other and said ‘that's why we are here."

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Gen. Thomas Friloux, adjutant general of Louisiana, and Command Sgt. Maj. Clifford Ockman, command senior enlisted leader of the Louisiana National Guard, join city officials, federal partners and leaders from state agencies during the annual ceremonial walk down Bourbon Street marking the official close of Carnival Season in New Orleans, Feb. 18, 2026. Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras security operations as part of Operation NOLA Safe. Photo by Capt. Peter Drasutis.
Louisiana Guard Supports Law Enforcement Partners During Mardi Gras
By Capt. Peter Drasutis, | Feb. 20, 2026
NEW ORLEANS – Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported federal, state and local law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras operations in the French Quarter, assisting with crowd management, emergency response and...

U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Matthew Wright, a cyber analyst with the 267th Intelligence Squadron, poses for a photo on Otis Air National Guard Base, Massachusetts, Feb. 18, 2026. Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration between the Department of the Air Force Artificial Intelligence Accelerator program and the private research university. Photo by Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy.
Massachusetts Guardsman Collaborates With Top AI Researchers in Prestigious Fellowship
By Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy, | Feb. 20, 2026
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Massachusetts National Guard Senior Airman Matthew Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration...

Brig. Gen. Brad Carter, Col. Lindy White and Capt. E.J. Johnson, Oklahoma Army National Guard, are joined by Oklahoma Rep. Chris Kannady, as well as representatives from Flintco Construction, Larson Design Group and Oklahoma Army National Guard Construction and Facilities Maintenance Office, during the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center in Oklahoma City, Feb. 19, 2026. The 35,000-square-foot facility is at the Oklahoma City Military Complex in Oklahoma City. Amenities within the wellness center include a fully equipped workout space for resistance training and agility, indoor and outdoor meditation spaces, a chapel, conference rooms, classroom spaces and a teaching kitchen. The facility also houses Oklahoma National Guard programs and services, including Behavioral Health; Chaplain; Equal Employment Opportunity; Family Programs; Holistic Health and Fitness; Integrated Primary Prevention; Resilience; Suicide Prevention; Substance Abuse Prevention and Risk Reduction; and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response. Photo by Staff Sgt. Anthony Jones.
Oklahoma National Guard Unveils New Wellness Center
By Leanna Maschino, | Feb. 20, 2026
OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma National Guard leadership held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Feb. 19 for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center, a nearly 35,000-square-foot facility at the Oklahoma City Military Complex."This is a...