An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Dec. 11, 2013

North Carolina Army Guard aviators rescue stranded climber

By Army Maj. Matthew Devivo North Carolina National Guard

RALEIGH, N.C. - Soldiers from the North Carolina Army National Guard assisted members of the North Carolina Emergency Management's Helicopter Aquatic Rescue Team with the rescue of a hiker who became trapped on a 300 foot tall cliff at Margarette Falls in Cherokee National Forest.

Local rescue crews were unable to reach him due to fog and high winds. The hiker, identified as Eric Farris of Ohio, was dressed in shorts and a T-shirt and had been trapped on a 25-square-foot ledge for more than 24 hours. He successfully built a fire during the night to stay warm in the mountainous area until rescue crews reached him.

"We had a lot of mountain around us as we hovered about 140 feet above the climber and sent the HART technician down the hoist," said Army Sgt. Kendall Gantt, with the North Carolina Army Guard. "My adrenaline was up and everyone did their jobs."

The mission went smoothly in large part because of a continued partnership between the North Carolina Army Guard and the HART teams.

"Our partnership and training with North Carolina HART is the reason this mission was successful," said Chief Warrant Officer 4 Scott Monticelli, with the North Carolina Army Guard. "This was the first time, with the many HART missions I have made, where the weather conditions (high winds and low visibility) made it very challenging."

Farris, the rescued hiker, showed signs of fatigue but no injuries or other health problems, officials said.

This mission is the fifth successful collaboration between the North Carolina Army Guard and HART since July. Teams have also executed missions involving swift water/flood rescue, lost persons and urban/wilderness high angle rescues.

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...