An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Oct. 11, 2013

Reservists, National Guard members on standby for resumption of training funds

By Lisa A. Ferdinando Army News Service

WASHINGTON - The Army Reserve and the National Guard say they are on standby to see what happens in Congress, as they wait for the resumption of funding for inactive and active-duty training, or IDT and ADT.

The cancellation of the IDT and ADT training is affecting readiness and hurting the Soldiers who depend on that money, said Capt. Eric Connor, deputy chief for public information with the Army Reserve Command.

"One of our pillars is resiliency," said Connor. "We have to stay Army Strong in terms of just making sure we get through all of this because we are all in this together as a team."

The exception to the cancellation includes Soldiers who are supporting mobilization or combatant command exercises, he said.

About 700 Soldiers have been affected with the cancellation of classes with developmental schools, said Connor.

Other areas impacted because of the shutdown, he said, are maintenance, and the shipping and transfer of equipment.

While some Army Reserve personnel have been called back to duty, he said, they don't have new equipment they need for maintenance.

"They're actually just working with what they have," he said. "If they need new parts to make repairs, that's not taking place," said Connor.

"The furlough has caused a loss of some 23,500 man-hours, putting a backlog of about 3.5 days when it comes to maintenance," he said.

In addition, some Soldiers are put in a difficult situation financially, he said.

"Some of them live paycheck-to-paycheck and a lot of them rely on the money from drills just to pay their light bills and put food on the table right now," said Connor.

"We are working with our leaders and trying to see if in the future we can have them RST (Rescheduled Training) and have them make up these drills in order to get them back on the right track," he said.

Drills are critical to the training and development of Soldiers on individual skills or on equipment, physical training and weapons qualifications, he said.

"Just last week we had some 75,000 Soldiers who were impacted by their drills being canceled at a tune of $46.3 million," he said. "Right now, if that continues for the rest of the month, that number could almost double to some $89 million."

Reservists can contact Fort Family at www.ARFP.org, or call toll-free at 866-345-8248, for information and support during this time, said Connor.

Lt. Gen. Jeffrey W. Talley, the chief of the Army Reserve and commanding general of the Army Reserve Command, said he knows each member of the Army Reserve family is affected by the shutdown in different ways.

"We are in a historic period for our nation and it is terrible that such severe measures have been taken that so deeply affect our civilian workforce, Soldiers, and our families," he said.

"Please know that I have the highest respect for each of you, for your service, and your commitment to America's Army," he said. "I ask you to stay Army Strong and we will get through this together."

The chief of the National Guard Bureau, Gen. Frank J. Grass, underscored the importance of the men and women of the Army National Guard and Air National Guard.

"Despite the unfortunate turmoil to your personal lives, please know that every person in uniform is privileged to serve alongside you and would never diminish your contributions," he said.

"Unfortunately drill/IDT periods are not authorized during the shutdown unless they are supporting excepted activities," he said. "For specific guidance on this and ADOS (Active Duty Operational Support) positions, please consult your chain of command."

National Guard Bureau spokesman Maj. Jon Craig said the shutdown has stopped a wide range of activities that include administrative actions, annual medical requirements, operational training events and maintenance on vehicles.

"Soldiers aren't going to the rifle range; pilots aren't able to fly the helicopters or their jets," he said. "Without training, the continuity of the training that normally would go on isn't happening."

Craig recommended members check the National Guard website, http://www.nationalguard.mil, or the Department of Defense's website, http://www.defense.mil for the most up-to-date information on the shutdown.

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Joel Loranger, the operations officer for the 157th Security Forces Squadron, is awarded the Bronze Star Medal May 2, 2026, at Pease Air National Guard Base, New Hampshire. Loranger earned the decoration for his leadership as the defense force commander at Al Asad Air Base from April to October 2025. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Timothy Hayden.
New Hampshire Air Guard Officer Awarded Bronze Star
By Tech. Sgt. Timothy Hayden, | May 8, 2026
PEASE AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, N.H. — A New Hampshire Air National Guard officer was awarded the Bronze Star Medal May 2 for distinguished accomplishments while deployed to Iraq, where he led security forces through a series...

Louisiana National Guard Soldiers conduct a roving patrol as part of Task Force NOLA operations during French Quarter Fest. The Louisiana National Guard activated approximately 120 Soldiers under Task Force NOLA to support enhanced security operations in the French Quarter, contributing to the safety and success of the French Quarter Festival and New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.
Louisiana National Guard Supports Festival Security Operations
By Spc. Duncan Foote, | May 8, 2026
NEW ORLEANS – The Louisiana National Guard activated approximately 120 Soldiers under Task Force NOLA to support enhanced security operations in the French Quarter, contributing to the safety and success of the French Quarter...

Indiana National Guard Sgt. Brendan Bartlett, a cyber specialist with the 147th Cyber Warfare Company, and Spc. Caleb Chambers, assigned to 1st Battalion, 151st Infantry Regiment, pose with their award for winning the highest overall combined score alongside Command Sgt. Maj. Mathew Hopkins, Michigan Army National Guard senior enlisted leader, after completing the Region IV Best Warrior Competition at Fort Custer Training Center, Michigan, May 2, 2026. The competition featured competitors from Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. Photo by Staff Sgt. Hector Tinoco.
Indiana Guard Soldiers Score Well at Regional Competition
By Master Sgt. Jeff Lowry, | May 7, 2026
INDIANAPOLIS – Two Indiana National Guard Soldiers received top honors at a Midwest regional competition held at Fort Custer Training Center, near Augusta, Michigan, April 30-May 2.Sgt. Brendan Bartlett and Spc. Caleb...