An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 16, 2009

Killey, Arnold recognized at dedication ceremony

By Courtesy of 1AF Public Affairs

TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. - A new headquarters complex here at Continental U.S. NORAD Region - 1st Air Force (Air Forces Northern) headquarters was officially opened March 13 in honor of two former commanders.

The dedication honored retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Phillip Killey by designating the new headquarters complex the Killey Center for Homeland Operations. The event also paid tribute to retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Larry Arnold by naming an access road to the complex after him"•L.K. Arnold Way.

General Killey was CONR-1st AF commander from 1994-1998, and General Arnold was commander from 1998-2002.

The audience listened intently as the former leaders were lauded for their many contributions to 1st Air Force during their command years.

"We are here to honor the achievements and to memorialize the accomplishments of two great general officers, both retired, but still extremely active in serving their country," said Air Force Gen. Hank Morrow, current CONR-1st AF commander,.

Among other things, Morrow related how Killey was the first Air National Guard officer to lead an Air Combat Command Numbered Air Force in a federal mission.

"He transformed 1st Air Force into a total force organization," he said.

The commander also described how Arnold rescued 1st Air Force from almost certain closure in 1998 and led the organization through the challenges of Sept. 11, 2001.

"It is a historic day for CONR and 1st Air Force, and I am extremely proud to have had the opportunity to recognize two great leaders in our organization's legacy for decades to come," said Morrow. "We owe a debt of gratitude to General Killey and General Arnold, and this tribute was just a small way to ensure that debt is paid in full."

Both retired generals expressed sincere appreciation for the honors that were bestowed upon them and reminisced briefly about their years as 1st Air Force commanders.

Killey said he was honored by the dedication. "When General Morrow told me about this over the phone, I couldn't even speak for five minutes," he said. "Now, when I see my name on this building, I am deeply honored and humbled."

He also commented on his tenure as commander, leading the transformation of 1st Air Force from an active duty organization to a guard-led organization in the mid-to-late 1990s.

"I was there at the beginning and believed it was a good idea, that it made sense," he said. "It was a major challenge, but we made it happen on time and under cost. Today, no one does their job more professionally than 1st Air Force."

Commenting on Sept. 11, 2001, when he was serving as 1st Air Force commander, Arnold said he is extremely proud of the men and women who served under him at that time, noting their willingness to work long and difficult hours both that day and in the weeks and months afterward to respond to the crisis.

"We had tremendous responsibility on our shoulders, but our people responded rapidly," he said. "First Air Force has done a lot of things since then to be ready for this type of event. Our country is now very well prepared compared to the day before 9/11."

Other distinguished visitors attending the ceremony were Gen. Craig R. McKinley, chief, National Guard Bureau; Lt. Gen. J.J.C. (Charlie) Bouchard, deputy commander of NORAD; retired Gen Ed Eberhart, NORTHCOM's first commander; and Congressman F. Allen Boyd, who represents Florida's Second Congressional District.

In his remarks, General McKinley congratulated the two former commanders, and referred to them as, "mentors, leaders and friends" of all young officers today.

Speaking on behalf of NORAD-U.S NORTHCOM commander Gen. Victor E. Renuart, who was unable to attend the ceremony, Bouchard said the event was a great tribute to both former commanders who served their country with gallantry.

During the ceremony a ribbon was cut, officially marking the opening of the new, three-phase headquarters complex, two phases of which have been completed.

Groundbreaking for the third and final phase occurred earlier this year and is scheduled to be completed in 2010.

Visitors were invited to take a tour of the complex, which features state-of-the-art blade computer technology that offers centralized control of PCs; lights that dim automatically, depending on the amount of available natural light; and other modern features.

 

 

Related Articles
Lt. Gen. Jon Stubbs, director of the Army National Guard, and Command Sgt. Maj. Brian Kendrick, command sergeant major of the Army National Guard, stand with Chief Warrant Officer 4 Douglas Malone and Sgt. 1st Class Danielle Beasley, recipients of the inaugural Lt. Gen. Herbert R. Temple Jr. Leadership Award, following the presentation ceremony at the Herbert R. Temple Army National Guard Readiness Center, Arlington, Va., Feb. 12, 2026. The Temple Leadership Award recognizes Soldiers who embody the 13 leadership principles championed by Lt. Gen. Herbert R. Temple Jr., widely regarded as the father of the modern National Guard. Courtesy photo.
Carrying the Legacy Forward: Army National Guard Establishes Temple Leadership Award
By Maj. Cibeles Ramirez-Rodriguez, | Feb. 18, 2026
ARLINGTON, Va. — The Army National Guard formally established a new leadership tradition Feb. 12, presenting the inaugural Lt. Gen. Herbert R. Temple Jr. Leadership Award to Chief Warrant Officer 4 Douglas Malone and Sgt. 1st...

Capt. Ryan Hafley, commander, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 96th Troop Command, attaches a new target to a unmanned aerial system during the FIFA Field-Ready Range Day at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., Feb. 11, 2026. Photo by Joseph Siemandel.
Washington Guard Strengthens Counter-Drone Readiness Before World Cup 2026
By Joseph Siemandel, | Feb. 18, 2026
JOINT BASE LEWIS-McCHORD, Wash. – With millions of soccer fans set to descend on the Pacific Northwest for the FIFA World Cup 2026, the Washington National Guard and public safety leaders are preparing for the possibility...

Emergency Management personnel testing equipment, for a chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, or explosives (CBRNE) field training exercise at Goldwater Air National Guard base, Phoenix, Feb. 14, 2026. The exercise included a full day of CBRNE instruction with Airmen and Fire Services from across Arizona. Photo by Staff Sgt. Shane Sanders.
Arizona Air Guard HazMat Exercise to Strengthen Joint Capabilities
By Staff Sgt. Shane Sanders, | Feb. 17, 2026
PHOENIX, Ariz. — Emergency management Airmen and partner agencies from across Arizona gathered for the second annual Arizona Air National Guard HazMat Jamboree, hosted by the 161st Air Refueling Wing Emergency Management...