An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Feb. 27, 2009

DoD to allow casket photographs with family's permission

By John J. Kruzel American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Defense Department will allow the news media to photograph the flag-draped caskets of fallen U.S. troops returning home if their families agree, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said today.

The announcement authorizes family members to choose whether to allow media access to the homecomings at Dover Air Force Base, Del., reversing a long-standing policy barring the press.

"I have decided that the decision regarding media coverage of the dignified transfer process at Dover should be made by those most directly affected - on an individual basis - by the families of the fallen," Gates said at a Pentagon news conference.

"We ought not to presume to make that decision in their place," added Gates, who began reviewing the policy at the request of President Barack Obama.

The Defense Department's choice to shift course was informed by sources that include the military services and groups that represent military families, the secretary said.

But the issue created divisions within the department, Gates said, adding that he was rebuffed when he broached the topic last year, before reaching out more broadly during the most recent policy review.

"I had asked about changing the policy in Dover over a year ago and, although when I got the response that I did - which recommended no change - I accepted that at the time," he said. "I must say I was never comfortable with it."

The secretary has appointed a group to quickly develop a plan to implement the policy, which reverses the restriction put in place by President George H.W. Bush in 1991.

Under the blanket restriction, the media has been barred from photographing the flag-draped caskets of about 3,850 U.S. servicemembers killed in action since 2001.

"I have tasked the working group to examine ways in which we might further assist the families of those who have made the supreme sacrifice for our country," Gates said. He added that he expects the group to work under "short deadlines."

Navy Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, agreed that military families deserve foremost consideration in dealing with such issues.

"We've seen so many families go through so much, and in that, they have been extraordinarily strong," Mullen told reporters. "And meeting their needs, their requests in the most dignified, respectful, focused way we can was very much a driver for me in supporting this change.

"Because it is family-centric here more than anything else, I'm very, very supportive," he added.

 

 

Related Articles
Maryland Air National Guard Tech. Sgt. Alexia De Souza, specialist for the 135th Intelligence Squadron; Tech. Sgt. Matthew Holsey with the 175th Maintenance Squadron; and a member of the Estonian Defence Forces participate in Baltic Blitz 25 at Warfield Air National Guard Base at Martin State Airport, Sept. 25, 2025. Members of the Estonian Defence Forces led the exchange by conducting workshops throughout the week focusing on tactics and capabilities related to critical thinking, as well as the collection and management of information. Photo by Airman 1st Class Sarah Hoover.
Maryland Guard Participates in Baltic Blitz 25 With Estonian Partners
By Airman 1st Class Sarah Hoover, | Nov. 19, 2025
MIDDLE RIVER, Md. – The Maryland National Guard recently partnered with Estonia’s Cyber Command to host Baltic Blitz 25, a cybersecurity exchange event, at Warfield Air National Guard Base at Martin State Airport.About 20...

Maj. Gen. Gent Welsh, the adjutant general, Washington National Guard, talks with attendees during a Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems, or CUAS, Summit in Renton, Wash., Nov. 5, 2025. Photo by Joseph Siemandel.
Washington Guard Hosts Summit Ahead of World Cup 2026
By Joseph Siemandel, | Nov. 18, 2025
CAMP MURRAY, Wash. – As the 2026 FIFA World Cup nears and drone threats grow more complex, more than 100 public-sector leaders convened in Renton on Nov. 5, for a Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems, or CUAS, Summit.The summit...

Tech. Sgt. Wolf Russo, Common Operating Picture manager with the Alaska National Guard’s Joint Force Headquarters, demonstrates capabilities of Maven in response to Western Alaska storms at Joint Base-Elmendorf Richardson, Alaska, Nov. 10, 2025. Maven improves communication with joint partners and enhances the COP while tracking supplies and personnel by integrating collected data from SHOUT Nanos. Photo by Azavyon McFarland.
Alaska Guard Launches Critical Communication Method
By Pfc. Azavyon McFarland, | Nov. 18, 2025
BETHEL, Alaska — After severe storms struck Western Alaska earlier this month, members of the Alaska Organized Militia’s Communications and Information Systems Directorate, known as J6, deployed new handheld satellite...