An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Feb. 2, 2009

Guard "wellness check" saves couple from carbon monoxide poisoning

By 1st Lt. Kyle Key and Capt. Dale Greer Kentucky National Guard

HARDINSBURG, Ky. - Airmen from the Kentucky Air National Guard, working in conjunction with local fire officials here, saved an elderly couple from carbon monoxide poisoning today during a door-to-door wellness check in this Breckenridge County community.

Staff Sgt. Jason Scharf, a chaplain's assistant in the Kentucky Air Guard's 123rd Airlift Wing, and Staff Sgt. Thomas Moses of the 123rd Maintenance Squadron, knocked on the door of an elderly couple's residence to determine if they needed assistance following last week's devastating winter storms.

While speaking with the Airmen, the wife appeared confused and disoriented. She also mentioned that her husband had been complaining of nausea.

After she provided an incorrect address for her home, Scharf and Moses suspected possible carbon monoxide poisoning and asked Hardinsburg Fire Department firefighter Darren Voyles to conduct a carbon monoxide test.

Jerry Martin, chief of the Hardinsburg City Fire Department, said the test confirmed a positive reading of 72 parts-per-million of carbon monoxide in the couple's home. Martin said that even 35 parts-per-million can be a lethal amount.

"I don't think they would have lived if we hadn't found them," said Martin, who attributed the poisonings to a faulty gas furnace. "That's a pretty high carbon monoxide level."

The couple was taken by ambulance to Breckinridge Memorial Hospital in Hardinsburg, where they were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and released.

Moses said he was pleased to be able to participate in the door-to-door mission, which is being staffed by 145 Kentucky Air Guardsmen, who deployed here this morning.

"It's a great feeling to know that we may have saved some lives today," he said.

The door-to-door home checks are part of a massive statewide disaster relief effort involving 4,600 Kentucky Army and Air National Guard members, who were mobilized in the aftermath of ice storms that left more than 700,000 homes without heat or electricity.

More than 90 of Kentucky's 120 counties have been declared disaster areas.

Also today, a C-130 Aircraft from the Kentucky Air Guard's 123rd Airlift Wing transported 100 Kentucky Army National Guard personnel from Lexington to Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base, Ohio, to pick up 50 Humvees from the Ohio National Guard.

The Soldiers, assigned to 149th Infantry Battalion, then drove the vehicles back to Kentucky for use in relief efforts in the western part of the state.

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...