An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 11, 2010

Employment program to resume for enrolled spouses

By Elaine Wilson American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON - The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program, commonly known as MyCAA, will resume March 13 for the more than 136,000 spouses who already have established an account, the defense official who heads up the program announced today.

Officials announced a temporary halt in the program Feb. 18, pending a top-to-bottom review, after a six-fold spike in enrollments in January, a surge that overwhelmed the system and caused the program to nearly reach its budget threshold.

"We made a commitment to our military spouses when they established a career advancement account, and we will be true to our promises," said Tommy T. Thomas, deputy undersecretary of defense for the Pentagon's office of military community and family policy.

The Defense Department will resume the program for the 136,583 military spouses currently in the program at noon EDT March 13, Thomas said.

"We sincerely apologize to our military spouses for the added burden caused by the pause in operation," he added.

While the program will resume for enrolled spouses, new MyCAA accounts or financial assistance applications will not be accepted yet, Thomas said, noting that the comprehensive review of the program still is under way.

"We are working hard to adjust the program to meet the demands of the MyCAA program and to arrive at a long-term solution for military spouses who would like to establish an account," he said. "Until that time, we encourage spouses to consult with the MyCAA career counselors who can provide career exploration, assessment, employment readiness and career search assistance."

The top-to-bottom review includes procedures, financial assistance documents and the overall program, which is intended to provide military spouses with opportunities to pursue portable careers in high-demand, high-growth occupations.

The program has been growing in popularity since its inception March 2, 2009. Enrollments had been increasing at a rate of about 10,000 a month, and in January, the number spiked to 70,000.

"We had very little time to react to that," Thomas said. "I make no excuses for that. We should have done a better job of notifying our military spouses." Thomas said he will work hard to restore the confidence lost when the program was halted.

"We certainly know we have lost some confidence, and we want to rebuild that confidence," he said. "We will restore that faith hopefully by one, restoring the program, and two, having appropriate resources to ensure everyone that applies for the program receives the appropriate financial assistance.

"We appreciate what [spouses] do, and we hope that through this, that once we get this program back on track, that we don't lose any ... spouses," he continued. "We value and treasure everything you do each and every day, not only for the Department of Defense, but for this nation."

Thomas said he will ensure the lines of communication stay open in the days ahead. An e-mail has been sent to all program participants, informing them of the program's resumption, and spouses will see the announcement letter when they log on to their MyCAA accounts. A "media blitz" of information will precede any announcement that applies to all military spouses, he vowed.

"We don't want to make the mistake we made in the beginning, and that is not notifying you what's going on," Thomas said. "We want to make absolutely sure that you understand that we're working in your best interest."

In the meantime, Thomas urged spouses to be wary of questionable Web sites enticing them with employment opportunities.

"Stay the course with us and allow us to work this to finality by restoring the program," he said. "We will make every effort possible to ensure we educate you and get the necessary funds to continue this program."

Along with MyCAA counselors, spouses also can request free career counseling through Military OneSource at 1-800-342-9647 or at http://militaryonesource.com.

 

 

Related Articles
The Washington National Guard’s Western Regional Counterdrug Training Center will launch a new Counter Unmanned Aircraft System fundamentals training course in December to help law enforcement get ahead of the threat. Graphic by Joseph Siemandel.
Washington Guard's Counterdrug Training Center Prepares to Launch Course
By Joseph Siemandel, | Nov. 21, 2025
CAMP MURRAY, Wash. – As criminals turn to drones to move drugs and support illegal activity, the Washington National Guard’s Western Regional Counterdrug Training Center will launch a new Counter Unmanned Aircraft System...

A U.S. Army National Guard UH-60L Black Hawk helicopter, assigned to the 207th Aviation Troop Command, Alaska Army National Guard, approaches Napaskiak, Alaska, during post-storm recovery efforts for Operation Halong Response, Oct. 27, 2025. Alaska Organized Militia members, including Alaska Air and Army National Guardsmen and members of the Alaska Naval Militia and Alaska State Defense Force, continue coordinated response operations in support of the State Emergency Operations Center following Typhoon Halong. Photo by Capt. Balinda O’Neal.
Alaska Army Guard Aircrew Conducts Medical Evacuation Amid Severe Weather
By Alejandro Pena, | Nov. 20, 2025
BETHEL, Alaska — Alaska Army National Guard members assigned to A Company, 1-168th General Support Aviation Battalion, transported a patient requiring advanced medical care from Scammon Bay to Bethel Nov. 18, after severe...

U.S. Air Force KC-46A aircraft assigned to the 157th Air Refueling Wing, New Hampshire National Guard, perform an elephant walk formation on the runway at Pease Air National Guard Base, Sept. 8, 2021. After taxiing, the aircraft were parked on the ramp in preparation for the Thunder Over New Hampshire Air Show. (U.S. Air National Guard Photo by Senior Master Sgt. Timm Huffman)
Air Force Selects Tennessee Guard Base as Preferred Location to Host Next-gen Pegasus
By Air National Guard, | Nov. 20, 2025
PENTAGON – The U.S. Air Force announced McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base near Knoxville, Tennessee, as the preferred location to host the KC-46A Pegasus Main Operating Base 7 as part of the Department of the Air Force’s...