An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Jan. 15, 2009

National Guard details support to inauguration

By Army Staff Sgt. Jim Greenhill National Guard Bureau

WASHINGTON – More than 9,000 National Guardsmen and women will support the 56th Presidential Inauguration, the Guard's largest contribution to an inauguration in its 372-year history.

"The National Guard will help to ensure a safe and secure environment for all attendees," said Manny Pacheco, spokesperson for the National Guard Bureau. "National Guard members are a force multiplier to a variety of federal and state agencies and military task forces."

National Guard members from several different states and the District of Columbia are working for Joint Task Force-District of Columbia.

"The number of National Guard members that will be used is larger than we've ever had in history," said Brig. Gen. Barbaranette Bolden, commander, Joint Task Force-District of Columbia.

National Guard members from several different states and the District of Columbia are working for Joint Task Force-District of Columbia. Citizen-Soldiers and –Airmen are providing communications, transport, traffic control and medical and logistical support – as well as playing music and marching in the inaugural parade.

"Those National Guard personnel will help quite a bit," Cathy Lanier, the District of Columbia's police chief, said last week. "[They] help us … keep law enforcement focused on law enforcement."

The Guard's support to civilian authorities works well because relationships are already well-established through previous events and shared training exercises. "They know that we will be there and that we will perform professionally, no matter what the situation," Bolden said.

Contributing National Guard states include Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. According to state National Guard officials:

  • Members of the 257th Army National Guard Band are among 250 troops on duty from the District of Columbia. The band is providing ceremonial and inaugural ball support. "We're so proud of them," Bolden said. "This has never happened before, our Army National Guard Band participating in an inauguration."
  • More than 2,000 National Guardsmen and women from Maryland and Virginia are working in support of their states' lead law enforcement and transportation agencies to assist with traffic flow into and out of the District of Columbia.
  • It's Iowa's first time supporting an inauguration: The Iowa National Guard is sending about 1,000 Soldiers from the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division.
  • More than 200 members of the New York National Guard are helping with communications and traffic control.
  • In addition to about 400 Soldiers and Airmen, the West Virginia National Guard is providing specialized homeland defense and security units, fixed wing and rotary aircraft and mobile satellite communications equipment in support of federal and local agencies to help manage the large crowds expected at the event.
  • Tennessee's contribution includes Airmen from the 228th Combat

Communications Squadron and the 118th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron and Soldiers from the 117th Military Police Battalion.

The National Guard Bureau participates in Armed Forces Inaugural Committee efforts while coordinating the support provided by the National Guard with federal and state civil authorities. A joint operations center is being staffed around the clock through the inauguration.

The National Guard has a long history of supporting presidential inaugurations. Local militia units marched with George Washington as he proceeded to his first inauguration on April 30, 1789, according to Guard historians.

"The National Guard is proud to continue this tradition of supporting and defending both the president of the United States, our constitutional form of government, and our American way of life," Pacheco said.

Guardmembers are proud of their role helping ensure a safe and secure environment for the event, Bolden said. "Every Soldier and Airman that comes here will be sharing this historic event with their families for many years to come," Bolden said.

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...