An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Sept. 4, 2008

Food and water come on line in record time

By Lt. Col. Reid A. Christopherson South Dakota National Guard

BATON ROUGE, La. - With the majority of the state without electricity and in need of food, water and basic necessities, it is a priority for all emergency response teams to provide assistance as quickly as possible.

"After the landfall of Gustav, our focus was to save lives beginning immediately at dawn Tuesday. By 11:00 a.m., we had flown the affected area across the state and realized that search and rescue wasn't required," said Col. Douglas J. Mouton, operations officer for the Louisiana National Guard. 

"We immediately shifted our focus from search and rescue to food and water distribution which is a significant operational transition. Now, here we are 24 hours after that focus shifted, standing up food, water, ice and tarp distribution points," he said.

The Guard Soldiers have averaged almost one distribution site every two hours since the focus shift, standing up 22 distribution sites in about 48 hours. 

So far, more than 640,000 Meals Ready to Eat (MREs), 920,000 liters of water and 25,000 tarps have been distributed to those impacted, according to Mouton.

The Guard is focused on increasing distribution sites throughout the state over the next few days as roads are cleared and troops make their way to locations around the state to assist those in need.

"The reaction time for getting food and water after this hurricane compared to years past, we have done a 180," said Daniel McLaughlin, a resident of Mandeville and former Katrina victim. "We evacuated so we were okay, but I know those who didn't went far too long without necessities. I am really impressed with the speed of assistance and it makes me proud to see that emergency response has come so far," he said.

"As we mobilize to get the distribution point set up, we get request from the parishes and prioritize as quickly as possible," Mouton said. "When you consider the scale and magnitude of the distribution mission, given an extremely tight schedule, it is pretty impressive. We are not where we want to be but will not stop pressing the effort until all the affected people of Louisiana are getting the support they need and deserve."

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...