An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Sept. 2, 2008

National Guard Emergency Operations Ready

By Mississippi National Guard

JACKSON, Miss. - Tracking Hurricane Gustav and making preparations for a possible devastating landfall was being made as early as Aug. 28 for Mississippi National Guard emergency operations center (EOC) personnel.

National Guard EOCs at forward locations on the coast and a rear EOC in Jackson not only tracked the weather conditions of Hurricane Gustav, but also kept track of logistics, personnel, and coordination with local, state and national emergency agency officials for mission support.

Maj. Gen. William L. Freeman, Jr., the adjutant general of Mississippi, said lessons learned following Hurricane Katrina and from conducting hurricane response exercises, the Mississippi National Guard is better poised today to respond to the Mississippi coastal communities and provide emergency evacuation assistance, search and rescue, assistance to law enforcement, and other hurricane support operations. All of the support operations are driven through the MSNG EOCs.

With much pre-planning, structures were identified in Pearl River, Stone and George Counties that would withstand a Category Five hurricane while serving as staging areas for 500 Soldiers in each location, said Brig. Gen. James Gaston, the forward EOC commander. "We had a total of 1,500 guard troops on the ground pre-landfall for a much faster response before, during and after the storm."

About 65 percent of authorized equipment was on-hand and the other 35 percent needed had been leased so the National Guard was 100 percent of the required equipment to respond. 

Over 300 humveees and other vehicles were staged at Camp Shelby for initial hurricane response and for follow-on forces post landfall. Four redundant communications systems that would cover the entire costal area using satellite, two-way and cell phone systems were tested and allowed for communications with the military task force and local emergency officials. They prepared for as many as 8,000 Soldiers and Airmen to assist with support operations if needed. 

Fortunately, landfall of Hurricane Gustav in Houma, La., Sept. 1, as a Category 1, seemed to bring relief to EOC personnel that this hurricane didn't compare to Katrina, but just the same, said General Freeman: "The Mississippi National Guard is trained and ready to support hurricane operations on a moments notice to protect the lives and property in the Gulf Coast region and in other counties in south Mississippi."

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...