An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | July 3, 2008

DoD Standardizes Waiver Process

By Department of Defense Press Release

The Department of Defense announced changes today to improve the enlistment screening process by standardizing enlistment criteria and generating uniform reporting of waiver types across all services, including the reserve components.

This week DoD and the nation celebrated the 35th Anniversary of the All Volunteer Force (AVF). Since its inception, our volunteer military has upheld the traditions of strong and selfless service to the nation. Presently, more than 1.4 million men and women choose to serve on active duty, along with nearly 1.1 million members of the National Guard and Reserves.

"Waivers have long been a part of the enlistment process, allowing communities a greater voice in identifying young persons who, despite factors such as youthful misconduct, are judged trustworthy and capable, and found fully qualified for service in the armed forces," said Bill Carr, deputy under secretary for military personnel policy.

The most noticeable change to the policy is in the area of conduct waivers. Previously, each service categorized offenses differently, making it impossible to provide reliable comparisons across services, over time.

"Under the new policy all conduct offenses will be classified into one of four different categories. The most severe offenses will be classified as "major misconduct," while less severe offenses will be considered "misconduct," "non-traffic," or "traffic" offenses. Also new is a coding system allowing services to track the level of the misconduct and the specific offense in question," said Carr.

Recent research suggests patterns of smaller offenses such as underage drinking and curfew violations are often more problematic over a career than a single major youthful offense such as burglary, which is the most common offense in the "major misconduct" category.

About one in five recruits receives exceptional admission to the military by means of a waiver. About one third are for medical waivers- most frequently for high body fat, and nearly two thirds involve youthful misconduct waivers.

The standardization of data will allow the department to better analyze the relationship between offenses or categories of offense on the one hand, and attrition or performance concerns on the other.

This new policy, will go into effect on Oct. 1, 2008, does not prohibit further changes in the management of the military's screening for service in the armed forces, but it does represent another affirmative step in sustaining the pattern of success that has come to characterize AVF.

Today's AVF is highly educated with nearly 95 percent of recruits holding a high school diploma, compared to about 75 percent of contemporary youth. Moreover, two thirds are drawn from the top half of American youth in math and verbal aptitude.

The new policy can be viewed online here.

 

 

Related Articles
Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...

Palau President Surangel Whipps Jr., center, meets with Guam Lt. Gov. Joshua Tenorio and members of the Guam National Guard in Koror, Palau, Oct. 29, 2024. The Guam National Guard and Palau held their inaugural State Partnership Program event in Palau, sharing best practices in emergency management and planning, communications, disaster response, and more.
Guam Guard Holds Inaugural State Partnership Event in Palau
By Mark Scott, | Oct. 31, 2024
KOROR, Palau – The Guam National Guard and the Republic of Palau held their first State Partnership Program event Oct. 28-31, with Soldiers and Airmen assessing emergency action plans and communications capabilities around...

The District of Columbia National Guard celebrated the 222nd anniversary of the first muster of D.C. Militia at the D.C. Armory, Oct. 30 2024. The event underscored the D.C. National Guard’s legacy, from its beginnings in 1802 to present-day missions supporting the capital city and national defense.
District of Columbia National Guard Honors Legacy of Service
By Ayan Sheikh, | Oct. 31, 2024
WASHINGTON - Two hundred twenty-two years ago, the District of Columbia Militia, hailing from every class and occupation, reported for duty near Rawlins Park. At this muster, leaders conducted roll call for each individual in...