An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Jan. 22, 2008

Ohio's 'Buckeye' Brigade departs on historic deployment

By Maj. Nicole Gabriel Ohio National Guard

1,600 arrive safely, start training at Fort Hood

The Soldiers were stoic, the thousands of well-wishers, supportive, and the VIPs' comments, laudatory, but the mood was bittersweet at the recent deployment ceremonies for the 1,600 Citizen-Soldiers of the Ohio Army National Guard's 37th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (IBCT) who left recently for a historic yearlong deployment in support the Global War on Terrorism.

Family, friends and supporters gathered in full force at 17 ceremonies across Ohio, from Austintown to Springfield, Columbus to Sandusky, to honor the Soldiers for answering their nation's call, say thank you and wish them well as they left for mobilization training and a tour in Kuwait.

This deployment, the largest single-unit deployment for the Ohio National Guard since World War II and the Korean War, marks a significant milestone for Ohio and the "Buckeye" Brigade, which has a prolific lineage. Brigade Commander Col. Richard Curry told his troops they were not only combating terrorism, but they were writing a new chapter in Ohio's rich military history.

"Each of these dedicated deploying Soldiers marches forward into history, adding their life contribution, which will enrich our proud traditions and the 37th Infantry Brigade Combat Team's lineage and honors," he said.

One of those Soldiers was Spc. Jonathan Gwynne of Company G, 237th Support Battalion, Medina, who, like his fellow Soldiers, wore the uniform with the reinstated left shoulder-sleeve insignia, the bright-red circle with an outer ring of white (a resemblance of the center of the Ohio flag), which has not been worn for federal service since 1954. After this deployment, the patch will earn the distinction of being worn on the Soldiers' right shoulders as a combat patch, which has not happened since World War II.

While Gwynne was ready to make history, this call to duty brought a pang of mixed emotions for his proud mother Melissa Gwynne, who must send a son -- and a Soldier -- off to war.

"This is what he's always wanted to do since he was 7 years old," Melissa said. "I have waves of emotion," she continued, tears welling in her eyes, and choking on her words. "He loves his country and he is very patriotic. I am behind him 100 percent."

The Ohio National Guard leadership, elected officials from the federal, state and community levels, including representatives from U.S. Sens. George V. Voinovich and Sherrod Brown; several U.S. representatives and their staffs; Gov. Ted Strickland and members of his staff; state legislators; as well as numerous county commissioners, mayors and other local officials, attended every ceremony and inspired the Soldiers with praise, proclamations, promises of support and flags.

In Medina, U.S. Rep. Stephanie Tubbs-Jones read a poem, "Live Your Creed," and said military service men and women like those in "Medina's Own" Company G, 237th Support Battalion set the example for others to follow. She also gave Company Commander Capt. Tim O'Connor a proclamation and a flag. "Take it (the flag) with you, protect it and bring it back," she said. "So far, every time I have given a flag, everyone has come back," she continued, generating applause and cheers from the crowd.

Strickland attended the ceremonies in Galloway and Springfield for Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 134th Field Artillery Regiment and the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 237th Special Troops Battalion, 37th IBCT, respectively. He shook each Soldier's hand and even helped promote 1st Sgt. Thomas Watson to command sergeant major.

"I wish I could look each one of you in the eye and thank you on behalf of the people of the great state of Ohio for the time and talent that you are giving in service to Ohio and in service to America," Strickland said.

Pfc. Megan Aigner of Company G, 237th Support Battalion had recently finished basic and advanced individual training, but said she was eager to go and start the mission. "We've been preparing for this," she said. "We have had our good training. I am anxious to do our mission and do it well."

The 37th IBCT, now comprised of Citizen-Soldiers from Ohio and Michigan, deploys for the first time as a modular brigade combat team formation -- a far cry from 1835 when each state sent its militias to the face-off across the Maumee River in a dispute over the territory that is now Toledo. The present-day "Buckeye" Brigade, along with about 950 of their fellow Soldiers from the Michigan Army National Guard, arrived safely last week at Fort Hood, Texas, to conduct training before deploying in early spring to Kuwait, where they will conduct base camp and security missions.

"Things are going really well," Curry said recently from Fort Hood. "The brigade is settled in and the Soldier processing went very well. The morale of the Soldiers is high, the facilities are better than they expected and they are ready to start their train-up for the mission. The brigade has been getting kudos from the trainers for how well prepared we are. The Soldiers put in a lot of extra training this year to be ready for this mission and the instructors have been impressed."

While other units within the new brigade have deployed for various missions at home and abroad, this is the first deployment as an Infantry Brigade Combat Team, which mobilizes under the new Army Force Generation (ARFORGEN) Model and is currently scheduled to deploy for a total of 12 months.

The Ohio National Guard has about 2,000 Soldiers and Airmen deployed for various missions around the world, but Maj. Gen. Gregory L. Wayt, the adjutant general, said the Ohio National Guard is ready to support any state emergency.

"While the Ohio National Guard continues to support the Global War on Terrorism, we are ready to respond when called to support an emergency in Ohio," he said. "[It] stands at more than 15,000 strong, so this deployment is a small percentage of our total force, and we have ample resources remaining in the state."

 

 

Related Articles
Staff Sgt. Kevin Propes, Survey Team Member, 10th Civil Support Team, Washington National Guard, talks with representatives from Anduril Industries during a new technology fielding of an advanced counter-unmanned aircraft systems. Courtest photo.
Washington Guard Advances Counter-Drone Capabilities
By Joseph Siemandel, | July 30, 2026
CAMP MURRAY, Wash. – With unmanned aircraft systems continuing to evolve as a threat to military installations, critical infrastructure and public events, the Washington National Guard has taken a significant step forward in...

Army Maj. Gen. Ray Shields, the adjutant general of the New York National Guard, passes the guidon of the New York Air National Guard Recruiting and Retention Squadron to Maj. Josh Bowers, the new squadron's commander during the squadron activation ceremony held at the New York National Guard headquarters in Latham, N.Y., July 29, 2026. The ceremony marked the activation of the first New York Air National Guard Recruiting and Retention Squadron. Photo by Stephanie Butler.
New York Air Guard Centralizes Recruiting With New Squadron
By Eric Durr, | July 30, 2026
LATHAM, N.Y. – The New York Air National Guard activated its first Recruiting and Retention Squadron during a July 29 ceremony at New York Air National Guard headquarters, creating a centralized recruiting effort in the...

U.S. Army Spc. Boecker, an infantryman assigned to the Minnesota National Guard's Moorhead-based 2nd Combined Arms Battalion, 136th Infantry Regiment, stands for a photo in Elk River, Minnesota, July 11, 2026. Boecker was recognized earlier this year for his lifesaving efforts during a medical emergency at his civilian job. Photo by Sgt. Isabel Wagner.
Minnesota Guardsman Uses Training to Save Life
By Sgt. Isabel Wagner, | July 30, 2026
ISANTI, Minn. – What began as an ordinary day at a construction site this spring quickly turned into a lifesaving effort for U.S. Army Spc. Ryan Boecker, an infantryman assigned to the Minnesota National Guard’s...