An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | June 22, 2007

Guardsmen Respond to New York Floods, Alaska Fires

By Donna Miles American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON - National Guard troops are helping to search for people still missing after flash floods deluged the southern Catskill Mountains, New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer said in a statement today, and Alaska Guardsmen are fighting spreading wildfires in the nation's largest state.

About 50 National Guard troops are on duty - a number that will increase to about 75 - to provide search-and-rescue, engineering and other flood-related support, officials from the New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs reported today. The New York Army National Guard's 53rd Troop Command sent combat engineers from the 204th Engineer Battalion to help remove debris and make emergency road repairs, officials said.

The task force is using six 20-ton dump trucks, three bulldozers, three bucket loaders, two excavator vehicles, two trucks and a rough terrain roller to conduct the mission.

Officials said more equipment will be provided, if needed.

Their efforts are focused on the town of Colchester and Delaware County, which received torrential rains earlier this week. Four people are reported missing.

Meanwhile, Alaska National Guard troops were helping the state Department of Forestry fight about 14 wildfires spreading across the Matanuska-Susitna Valley.

Two UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and crews are using Bambi buckets -- collapsible buckets with a valve on the bottom that releases water -- to help douse the flames, National Guard Bureau officials reported. Each helicopter has a six-person crew, and about 30 Guardsmen are involved in the effort.

The crews are working out of Palmer Airport, and have been asked to remain on station for seven days, officials said.

Thunderstorms, erratic winds, hot temperatures and low humidity are challenging fire-control efforts, and more troops could be needed, they said.

"The Alaska National Guard is always ready and prepared to take care of fellow Alaskans," said Army Brig. Gen. Deborah McManus, chief of staff for the Alaska National Guard's Joint Forces Headquarters. "We stand poised to help the firefighting efforts in other areas of the state if called upon."

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...