An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Dec. 29, 2006

National Guard Responds to Second Colorado Storm

By Sgt. Sara Wood American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON - About 165 members of the Colorado National Guard have been activated since yesterday in the wake of the state's second blizzard in 10 days, the state adjutant general said today.

This latest storm dumped up to 28 inches of snow in some parts of the state, and Guard troops are ready to perform many of the same missions they did when the first blizzard. So far, they only had one mission -- to re-supply two Red Cross shelters this morning, said Air Force Maj. Gen. Mason C. Whitney.

"There's a lot of ice, a lot of snow pack, so it's still dangerous out here, but we haven't seen the requirement for the National Guard to be called out in the numbers we had last week," Whitney said.

During the first storm, which hit Dec. 20, Army National Guardsmen rescued stranded motorists, cleared roadways for emergency vehicles and delivered American Red Cross supplies to emergency shelters.

The Guard has been preparing for the past two days for this second storm, and about 70 vehicles are ready to respond if they are needed for relief operations, Whitney said.

The storm last week kept the Guard much busier, because it hit quickly in the middle of the work week, and in the middle of rush hour, stranding many motorists. This week's blizzard is slower-moving and has less wind, which has made it easier for snow plows to clear the roads, Whitney said.

Whitney said the Guard today is going to reduce the number of activated soldiers to 105, but will be ready to provide additional troops if the storm worsens over the weekend, Whitney said. The storm is expected to last through tomorrow and into the morning of Dec. 31.

"Right now, we're just kind of standing by," he said. "We're kind of in an insurance policy this time."

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Soldiers aid Sgt. Josiah McBride, left, serving as part of the Massachusetts National Guard Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear, or CBRN, Task Force Search and Extraction Recon Team 1 in donning personal protective equipment during a CBRN Task Force collective training exercise at Camp Edwards Training Site, Joint Base Cape Cod, Massachusetts, May 16, 2026. Photo by Staff Sgt. Justin Leva.
Massachusetts Guard Strengthens Disaster Response Capabilities
By Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy, | May 20, 2026
BOURNE, Mass. – Massachusetts National Guard Airmen and Soldiers conducted a Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear, or CBRN, Task Force collective training exercise May 14-17 on Joint Base Cape Cod to strengthen the...

U.S. Air National Guard Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe throws the ceremonial first pitch during the Washington Nationals National Guard Appreciation Game at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., May 18, 2026. The first-pitch baseball was presented by Air Force Gen. Steve Nordhaus, chief of the National Guard Bureau, prior to the game honoring National Guard service members and their contributions to the nation. Photo by Staff Sgt. Brianna Rodriguez-Munns.
National Guard Day at Nationals Park Celebrates Guard Service, Community
By Capt. James Mason, | May 19, 2026
WASHINGTON – More than 250 Soldiers and Airmen from throughout the National Guard took part in National Guard Day at Nationals Park in Washington, highlighting the Guard’s service, sacrifice and community connection.Guard...

A group of U.S service members and Royal Moroccan Armed Forces perform care on a newborn baby after an emergency cesarean section during an African Lion 26 humanitarian civic assistance mission at El Faid, Morocco, April 30, 2026. The humanitarian civic assistance mission reflected the enduring Department of War National Guard Bureau State Partnership Program relationship between the U.S. and Morocco, with Utah National Guard and Moroccan military medical teams providing medical, surgical, dental and diagnostic services. The partnership reinforces the commitment to regional stability built through cooperation. African Lion 26 is U.S. Africa Command's largest annual joint exercise, designed to strengthen collective security capabilities of the U.S., African nations and global allies. Led by U.S. Army Southern European Task Force, Africa, or SETAF-AF, from April 20 to May 8, 2026, and hosted in Ghana, Morocco, Senegal and Tunisia, African Lion involves over 5,600 civilian and military personnel from more than 40 nations, using innovation to drive partner-led regional security. Photo by Sgt. Lark Sine.
Utah Guard, Morocco Partners Provide Medical Care in African Lion
By Sgt. Lark Sine, | May 19, 2026
EL FAID, Morocco – Utah National Guardsmen and the Moroccan Royal Armed Forces redefined what partnership looks like through shared expertise, innovation and expanding access to impactful care, under a network of...