An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Dec. 21, 2021

Inaugural Battle Born Youth ChalleNGe Academy class graduates

By Staff Sgt. Walter Lowell, Nevada Joint Force Headquarters Public Affairs

ELKO, Nev. – The inaugural class of students in the Battle Born Youth ChalleNGe Academy made Nevada history by graduating from the residential phase of the program during a ceremony at the Elko Convention Center Dec. 17.

All 21 students completed the rigorous 22-week residential portion of the program and are transitioning to the one-year mentorship phase as they return to their respective local, traditional high schools.

Opened last February, the Battle Born Youth ChallenNGe Academy is the state- and Nevada Guard-sponsored educational academy participating in the overarching National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Program. The voluntary program is for at-risk 16- to 18-year-olds who have dropped out of school or are not progressing academically, are unemployed or under-employed.

Lauren Schulman, program director, said the first class of BBYCA students proved to be “phenomenal.”

“This class established a standard of excellence that all future classes will aspire to match,” Schulman said. “The students all made a remarkable journey from compliance to self-reliance.”

Schulman said two of the 21 students are back on track to graduate with their local Class of 2022 peers in June. The 19 younger students who completed the residential phase also made enough academic progress to graduate on time with the Classes of 2023 and 2024 if they continue to accrue required credits.

The class worked on far more than just academics during the fall semester; Schulman said each student recorded at least 40 hours of service to the Elko County community last autumn, including work in cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management and the California Trail Interpretative Center.

The students’ graduation marked the realization of a dream come true for Nevada Guard officials, state legislators and educators, and BBYCA supporters across the Silver State.

The idea of the Battle Born Youth ChalleNGe Academy was brought to light by Heather Golding and Grace Nichols of Reno in 2016 when they asked now-retired Brig. Gen. Bill Burks, adjutant general, about the possibility of the National Guard’s regimented Youth ChalleNGe Program expanding to the Silver State.

The measure to establish the BBYCA was passed in 2019 by the Nevada Legislature, which appropriated $500,000 annually for the program. Federal funds added about $1.5 million annually.

The Elko County Readiness Center, which previously housed one detachment of the 593rd Transportation Company, serves as the campus for the BBYCA.

Schulman said the program is accepting applications for the spring 2022 semester, with room for 55 students.
 

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Airmen with the Air National Guard assigned to force support squadrons from Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, and Puerto Rico, assemble a tent during the fiscal year 2026 Home Station Readiness Training at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, June 17, 2026. The Home Station Readiness Training is a joint total force integration training involving the 140th Force Support Squadron, 154th Force Support Squadron, 142nd Force Support Squadron, 926th Force Support Squadron and 156th Force Support Squadron, designed to test participants expeditionary capabilities and ensure that force support personnel are prepared to perform their mission in a contested environment. Courtesy photo.
Puerto Rico Guard Airmen Build Force Support Readiness
By Master Sgt. Victor Vazquez, | July 24, 2026
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii – Airmen from the Puerto Rico Air National Guard’s 156th Force Support Squadron joined nearly 100 force support professionals from four Air National Guard units and one Air Force Reserve...

A UH-60 Black Hawk assigned to the 2-211th Aviation Battalion air lifts a dinosaur fossil in southern Utah, June 13, 2026. The Utah National Guard trains on aerial hoist missions to maintain the proficiency needed to operate in areas inaccessible by traditional means. This capability supports search and rescue and disaster response efforts, while also enabling Innovative Readiness Training, or IRT, missions that provide essential services to communities and strengthen military readiness. Regular training ensures aircrews and ground personnel remain ready whenever they are called upon. Photo by Staff Sgt. Alejandro Lucero.
Utah, Nevada National Guard Aviators Help Airlift Dinosaur Fossils
By Staff Sgt. Alejandro Lucero, | June 30, 2026
SALT LAKE CITY – Utah and Nevada National Guard aviators helped airlift multiple rock-encased dinosaur fossils out of the ground in June for the Natural History Museum of Utah and the North Carolina Museum of Natural...

U.S. Army Pvt. 1st Class Mace Veit, 1st Battalion, 221st Cavalry, Nevada National Guard, is being pinned his airborne pin by his sister at Fort Benning, Georgia, April 17, 2026. Veit completed Ranger School, Airborne School, Air Assault School and Pathfinder School before his 20th birthday, accomplishing in less than six months what can take many Soldiers years to achieve. Courtesy photo.
Nevada Guardsman Earns Training Royal Flush Before 20
By Sgt. Adrianne Lopez, | June 12, 2026
HENDERSON, Nev. – Nevada Army National Guard Pfc. Mace Veit completed Ranger School, Airborne School, Air Assault School and Pathfinder School before his 20th birthday, accomplishing in less than six months what can take many...