An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Feb. 9, 2021

Michigan National Guard maintains unprecedented pace in 2021

By Capt. Andrew Layton Michigan National Guard

LANSING, Mich. – In 2020, the men and women of the Michigan National Guard were there time and time again to support their fellow Michiganders, from providing COVID-19 relief and assisting with recovery after 500-year floods to serving as a peaceful presence during civil disturbances.

What seemed implausible after the high operations tempo of 2020 has already become a reality: just over one month into a new year, more than 1,300 additional Soldiers and Airmen have been activated for domestic support missions in 2021 – nearly as many as in all of 2020. Incredibly, the men and women of the Michigan National Guard have accomplished this while maintaining their baseline deployment requirements and exercise support.

“More than any other time in our state’s history, the men and women of the Michigan National Guard are continually proving themselves as an invaluable source of compassion and reassurance to their fellow Michiganders,” said Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. “They are truly a part of the fabric of our communities, and I could not be prouder of how they constantly innovate new ways to make their diverse expertise part of the solution for the challenges our state and nation face.”

Beginning Jan. 24, the Michigan National Guard deployed about 300 additional members to amplify its support for COVID-19 vaccination and testing efforts and food bank operations across the state. This brings the total number of MING members on COVID-19 relief missions to nearly 600. Since Jan. 1, these men and women have provided nearly 70,000 COVID-19 vaccinations, about 6,000 COVID-19 tests, and millions of pounds of food to Michigan residents.

In addition to the COVID-19 response, almost 700 members of the Michigan National Guard were activated to join Guard personnel from around the country to help secure the U.S. Capitol, the National Mall and the White House during the Jan. 20 presidential inauguration. About 1,000 members of the Michigan National Guard returned to the National Capital Region Jan. 28, where they continue to augment U.S. Capitol police.

“We are here to help whenever we are asked,” said Maj. Gen. Paul Rogers, adjutant general and director of Michigan’s Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. “From the city of Detroit to the far reaches of the Upper Peninsula, our Soldiers and Airmen have the right values, the right training, and the right equipment to serve as a source of reassurance and expertise alongside our interagency partners wherever and whenever we are requested.”

The Michigan National Guard’s presence has not just been felt during challenging times stateside. A total of 2,098 Michigan National Guard members were deployed in 2020 to locations including U.S. Central Command, Pacific Command, Africa Command, U.S. Army North, and the U.S. Southwest border. In February 2021, more than 1,000 Michigan Guard members are serving in far-reaching corners of the globe, making extraordinary sacrifices away from home in support of our National Defense Strategy.

Michigan has also kept up its crucial role in allowing other organizations from around the Department of Defense to maintain their deployment readiness with its pristine training facilities at the National All-Domain Warfighting Center in Northern Michigan. This 148,000-acre facility, which combines the resources of Camp Grayling Maneuver Training Center and Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center, hosted exercise “Winter Strike” during the last week of January.

Though the men and women of the Michigan National Guard have never been busier, Rogers offers every assurance that capacity exists to accept and support even more new missions.

“This is an organization of more than 11,000 incredible individuals who each bring their own unique perspectives and experience to the table,” he said. “As amazed as I am by the results we have achieved together, I sincerely believe there is no limit to the potential we have yet to realize – and if anyone out there wants to join us, I can assure you there’s always room for one more on this team.”

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Sgt. Isaac Bradshaw, a combat medic with C Company, 230th Brigade Support Battalion, North Carolina Army National Guard, wraps his arms around an older couple and uses his body to block them from debris and strong winds produced by the rotorwash of a landing CH-47 Chinook helicopter in Burnsville, North Carolina, Oct. 10, 2024. The Chinook crew brought generators, fuel and other supplies to the remote area after floodwaters washed away the main road after Hurricane Helene.
National Guard Helps Hurricane Milton, Helene Victims
By National Guard Bureau | Oct. 9, 2024
ARLINGTON, Va. - Over 11,000 National Guard Soldiers and Airmen were conducting Hurricane Milton and Hurricane Helene relief missions in the Southeast Sunday, helping first responders and victims by air, land and...

The Michigan National Guard and the Republic of Sierra Leone Armed Forces come together to mark the beginning of their partnership under the State Partnership Program in Freetown, Sierra Leone, Sept. 12, 2024. This SPP signing ceremony represents a new chapter of mutual support, training, and cooperation.
Michigan Guard, Sierra Leone Establish State Partnership
By David Kennedy, | Sept. 30, 2024
FREETOWN, Sierra Leone - “You never get a second chance to make a first impression,” the adage goes. However, since the announcement in May that Sierra Leone would partner with the Michigan National Guard, there have been...

Maj. Gen. Ray Shields, the adjutant general of New York, displays a photograph of Pvt. John Greschiak, a World War II Soldier killed in action on Sept. 16, 1944, during a ceremony at which he was posthumously awarded the New York State Conspicuous Service Cross at New York National Guard headquarters in Latham. New York, Sept. 16, 2024. Shields presented the award to the Soldiers niece and grandniece.
NY National Guard Honors World War II Soldier Posthumously
By Eric Durr, | Sept. 17, 2024
LATHAM, N.Y. - Maj. Gen. Ray Shields, the adjutant general of New York, honored a World War II Soldier 80 years to the day after he was killed in combat.Shields presented the New York State Conspicuous Service Cross to the...